Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Doc Hudson sighting... among other things.

We interrupt these Cali trip posts to bring you our Doc Hudson sighting from last week. Ethan and I were driving along {but Ethan was asleep} when I look over and spy a real-life Doc Hudson look-a-like! So, this is how you know you're a mother... when you slow way down and also get in the slow lane, just so the Doc-Hudson-look-a-like will have to pass you and then your kid can see it too! Well, it took a while, but he finally passed us and as he did Ethan caught his breath and said, "Huh! It IS Doc!" He was so excited. And then I got back up to speed and passed the guy. The pictures don't show the color well at all, but the car was actually a dark blue. It even had white wall tires!
The look-a-like.
The real thing.

Anyway, we spotted Doc on our way down to Oregon last week. Ethan and I went to watch Lizzy's basketball game. They were supposed to beat the pants off cross-town rivals Thurston, but unfortunately even the best-laid plans don't work out. Boo.
It was a short but fun visit. We had Papa's pizza {still haven't really found a good, non-chain pizza place up here} and Dad helped me turn in all of our soda cans from the past year. Turns out, it's cheaper to pay tax in WA than it is to pay the deposit in OR. Of course, that also means remembering to haul them all down one of the weekends I visit. Still, I got $7.50 for my efforts. :) Mom and I did our typical late-night movie watching and her new addiction is the series Burn Notice. My parents don't have cable/satellite so it a new show to my mom. I remember when it first came out a couple years ago, but never got into it. Count on my mom to get me hooked. I think we watched at least 4 episodes and I already have 2 re-runs set up on our DVR to record. Not a bad show. Sorta like a cross between the show Leverage and the movie Mission Impossible.

Speaking of movies, is this one the current hit with the kiddos at anyone else's house?! Sheesh. This is the number one pick every day lately!
And the most popular thing to do at our house right now? Team GEO-TRAX, all aboard! Ethan is obsessed. Grandparents, he already knows which trains and additional sets he wants for his birthday in 2 1/2 months!
Other than that, we are just getting back into a routine now that we're home and unpacked from our trip. I'm looking into trying swim lessons again for Ethan next month or maybe March. Yesterday we had a little heat wave in our house. The thermostat went out in Ethan's room and it was ROASTING!! Holy heat. We had the heat "turned off" in his room and everywhere else in the house, the window to his room wide open and it was still putting off enough heat to keep the whole house warm. Luckily, our landlord came by and got it all replaced last night so we are good as new. Which is a good thing, because I was not liking the potential fire hazard {that ceiling was HOT!} and not looking forward to the extra $$$ from all that unnecessary heat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Cali trip posts. I promise, Disneyland is up next!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness that GYM!! The memories.

E would be so jealous of those geotracks, I need to get him some.

Love the Doc picture!

The Grahams said...

That is awesome... looks just like Doc! My boys would be going crazy! And yes, wer are currently obsessed with Despicable Me right now too! My boys have had a sick day the past 2 days so we have watched it like 4 times in a row!

p.s. I picked up a coupon for Brickhouse Pizzeria in NE Portland that is suppose to be pretty good and has a kiddos section for games! We should meet there sometime and try it out! I bet it would be in the middle between our houses!

Rach said...

Holy cow he is getting SO big!!! How cool that you saw 'doc' hehe!