Salvatore Sebastiano Collura
aka: Tore-Bore, Uncle Tory, Elder Collura
Where do I begin?
Tory is like the little brother I never had. He even towers over me (as "little" brothers tend to do) at about 6'1" and can be relentless with his teasing and jokes. At the same time, though, he would do just about anything to help our family out. In fact, it was "Uncle Tory to the Rescue!" a few weeks before he left for his mission when Ethan had locked himself in the bathroom. I hadn't started to panic... yet. But I'd tried taking the doorknob off and using a gift card to slide past the lock and neither had worked (the doorknob screws were in an awkward location). So, short of kicking the door in, I called up Tory since Sean was out of town. He was over in a heartbeat, complete with tools.
PS: This is what we found once we got the door open. Ethan had had way too much fun being unsupervised in the bathroom!
Tory has been a great friend to our family over the years. Often, long after Ethan had gone to bed, Sean, Tory and I would talk late into the night and I really enjoyed those chats. It also became pretty standard once Sean and I inherited our piano for Tory and Sean to have "jam sessions" with Tory on the keys and Sean belting out some musical number. It was great. Front row seats to my own personal concert.
Tory's last Sunday before leaving for his mission.
And we got to be part of Tory's whole pre-mission preparations. Having no brother of my own, it was very special to be with him as he received his mission call, received his endowments in the Portland temple, was set-apart as an Elder and said his farewells at the airport.
We will miss him dearly, but know he is much needed in the mission field and that is where he should be. The people of Paraguay are lucky to have him!!
As we said our "goodbyes" and "see ya laters" at the airport there was quite a group gathered for his departure - all his family and a few friends. At one point some random lady even made the comment to his mom that he must be a very important person to have such a crowd see him on his way. Well, we sure think so!
Where do I begin?
Tory is like the little brother I never had. He even towers over me (as "little" brothers tend to do) at about 6'1" and can be relentless with his teasing and jokes. At the same time, though, he would do just about anything to help our family out. In fact, it was "Uncle Tory to the Rescue!" a few weeks before he left for his mission when Ethan had locked himself in the bathroom. I hadn't started to panic... yet. But I'd tried taking the doorknob off and using a gift card to slide past the lock and neither had worked (the doorknob screws were in an awkward location). So, short of kicking the door in, I called up Tory since Sean was out of town. He was over in a heartbeat, complete with tools.
PS: This is what we found once we got the door open. Ethan had had way too much fun being unsupervised in the bathroom!Tory has been a great friend to our family over the years. Often, long after Ethan had gone to bed, Sean, Tory and I would talk late into the night and I really enjoyed those chats. It also became pretty standard once Sean and I inherited our piano for Tory and Sean to have "jam sessions" with Tory on the keys and Sean belting out some musical number. It was great. Front row seats to my own personal concert.
Tory's last Sunday before leaving for his mission.And we got to be part of Tory's whole pre-mission preparations. Having no brother of my own, it was very special to be with him as he received his mission call, received his endowments in the Portland temple, was set-apart as an Elder and said his farewells at the airport.
We will miss him dearly, but know he is much needed in the mission field and that is where he should be. The people of Paraguay are lucky to have him!!
As we said our "goodbyes" and "see ya laters" at the airport there was quite a group gathered for his departure - all his family and a few friends. At one point some random lady even made the comment to his mom that he must be a very important person to have such a crowd see him on his way. Well, we sure think so!
2 comments:
Sad to say goodbye to your friend! But in a good way :) That pic of the bathroom is HILARIOUS!!!! So funny. I can't believe you worked at the same place for 10 years! WOW!!! The longest I've been somewhere is 4, and TECHNICALLY it's 3 years and 9 months! I thought that was a long time! That hippopotamus song came on and it is so funny! Great version!
I miss Tory! We finally got a package in the mail for him!
Post a Comment