Monday, February 27, 2012

Even Mozart Had to Start Somewhere


Sean has 12 piano students and 1 vocal student.

And a waiting list.

He's in high-demand for his mad-piano-teaching-skills.

In fact, he may get two more students this week... Younger siblings of another student. His schedule barely allows it, but we think we can squeeze them in.

His newest customer, though, is non-paying.

Unless you count hugs and smiles. :)

Because those are in abundance and worth their weight in gold.

Sean has been giving Ethan mini piano lessons here and there - nothing really consistent, no set day or time - and Ethan is soaking it up like a sponge! Over a month ago Sean worked with him on counting quarter, half and whole notes. And Ethan got it. I was amazed. This first video is just of counting notes, playing middle C on the piano.



Once Ethan mastered that, Sean moved on to notes. Ethan knows, I think, most of them around middle C on the piano but Sean focused on notes on the page. Honking Cars is one of Ethan's first songs and it's just C and G notes, but Ethan has it quite mastered already. I am one impressed Mama!!




And I'm so glad it's Sean that plays piano and not me, though I wouldn't mind learning how to read bass clef. Several of Sean's students come from homes where the mom knows how to play piano but hasn't had any luck trying to teach their kids because there's not enough separation between mom and teacher. Mom's the one home with them after school AND trying to be piano teacher and they just don't respond well. In our case (for now, at least), it works to have the piano teacher be a parent because Sean's not the one home all day.

Anyway... Just thought I'd share some videos of our little Mozart-in-training!

{Please note, I am kidding. I am not under the assumption, by any means, that our child is a piano prodigy - just happy he is learning!}

2 comments:

Emily said...

That is so cool!!!!!
He does such a good job, how lucky to have a piano teacher in the house.

Seriously so cute, I hope he keeps it up!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, I am really impressed too! I remember learning the piano at that stage and I totally loved it. I still to this day love all those simple little songs, because I remember loving to play them so much!