Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I "mustache" you a question...

I like to try and have fun in my Primary class. I teach the 10-11 year olds. It's a good group. On Sunday we studied Abinadi in the Book of Mormon. I had different objects to represent different parts of the story between Abinadi and King Noah. Mosiah 12:1 talks about Abinadi being in disguise... We had the most fun with this part. First, I had a couple students come out in the hall with me and we all put on sunglasses and scarves or bandannas and then went back into the room. After reading the first part of chapter 12 we discussed Abinadi being in disguise and then I told the rest of the class I was kind of bummed none of the kids that went out in the hall wanted a finger mustache and I drew one on my index finger. Well, 2 of the girls that had stayed in the classroom immediately jumped on that idea and both said that they would have done it. That was all it took. EVERYONE decided they wanted finger mustaches! It was hilarious and even though it took longer than I would have like, they had fun with it and I'm sure will remember this lesson for a while! {Even if it takes a little bit of thinking to remember what the finger mustaches had to do with the lesson - hopefully they'll eventually get to it Abinadi and his story!!}

1 comment:

Kirsten & Midge said...

I read that in order to get people to remember things you either need to make them laugh. Laughter helps solidify things in our memory. Interestingly enough so does fear, so having fun and getting people out of their comfort zone are great ways to learn. I guarantee they will always remember this lesson and the older primary kids are hard to reach sometimes. Good job.