Monday, November 30, 2009

Granite Countertops or a Garage?

So we went rental shopping in Vancouver Friday afternoon... We looked at four different places. Two townhouses, 1 small duplex and 1 bigger duplex. We decided the small duplex was out because there was no garage, the washer/dryer was in the kitchen (not even hidden by closet doors!) and it was just too small! [Not too mention that I could not stand the landlord. One can only stand hearing "Duuuude." in a conversation so many times.] The bigger duplex was ok... just not quite what we were looking for and had a HUGE side yard we'd have to take care of and we don't have a lawnmower. So it was between the two townhouses - both 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathrooms with a garage and roughly the same rent.

We talked it over most of the way home, well, after a side trip to eat dinner at Five Guys! Yum, yum those were some good burgers!! I wish someone (ahem, Christine) would've warned me to get the "little cheeseburger". I made the mistake of ordering just a plain cheeseburger and it was huge! How was I supposed to know their standard burger is a double?! It was good, even though I didn't get close to finishing it. And two thumbs up on the fries. :) Anyway, we pretty much had it decided between the two places.

Then, last night we're looking some more online and stumble upon another place worth looking into. Much, much newer. Two bedroom, 2 full bathrooms, fireplace, washer/dryer hook-ups and nice kitchen with granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, but no garage. This unit is also part of a nice complex with a clubhouse, pool and jacuzzi, playground, fitness room, etc.
So... side by side comparisons

Townhouse
- 2 bed
- 1.5 bath
- washer/dryer hook-ups
- garage
- older kitchen
- no fireplace
- garbage paid
- no special amenities

Flat
- 2 bed
- 2 bath
- washer/dryer hook-ups
- NO garage
- modern kitchen
- fireplace
- not sure if any utilities paid
- pool/jacuzzi + clubhouse + fitness room + playground

Rent is the same. Square footage is about the same - both are bigger than our current place. But, does an older place with a garage outweigh a newer place with some nice amenities but no garage? Can we live without a garage? Really, the only thing that is in our garage now is our food storage and then everything else that's stored out there is already in big rubbermaid boxes.

What to do, what to do... Thoughts??

8 comments:

Emily said...

That's a tough one. I guess it depends on how much stuff you store or are planning to accumulate. Nice new kitchen is tempting, so are all the amenities...but a garage is nice too. We lived without a garage the first 5 years of our marriage and i guess we did fine, but now I can't imagine not having one.

Good luck, there's always so much to consider.

Lindsay Marchant said...

I love having a garage...but you can also deal without one. I didn't think so when we moved into a place without a garage after having one, but somehow you manage. It all works out and a garage isn't that big of a deal once you get used to it. Does the newer one have much closet space? If you don't have a garage you will need more closet space!

Mel D said...

I wouldn't care too much about the kitchen stuff but I would pick use of a pool/jacuzzi/playground/etc over a garage anyday! =)

Swanson Family said...

Jennifer - where are these located? Let me know, I may be able to give you some insight which could help your decision making.....I tried calling earlier, but I'm afraid to call tonight because of FHE. Email me if you want to chat, or I'll try calling again tomorrow. swanfam@comcast.net

Blair and Leslie said...

I would agree with Lindsay. Is there enough storage space in the one without the garage? Also, do you think that you will actually use the other amenities offered? For me, they wouldn't make a difference because I probably wouldn't ever use them, but that is just another thing to consider.

Anonymous said...

I vote for the one with a playground. I wish we had one since we have no yard. And it's nice to have a new home with new appliances. Garages are overrated. ;0)

Shalene said...

I would totally go for the amenities...and a nice kitchen. The gym for me would be much more convenient if it was close by and a playground would be fun to have also. Unless it is a shady neighborhood and you need a garage.

Emily D said...

If you think you can make due without the garage, I think the second place sounds a lot nicer! I would love a fireplace, playground, gym, and a newer kitchen! We were just fine without a garage (of course we didn't know what we were missing! but I love parking my car in the garage now...)I think I'd go with the no garage place though...
Good luck!