Sean and I decided we would give family camping a shot and got our feet wet with a one-nighter at a campground about 25 minutes outside of town. Of course, we were there less than 24 hours, but I still had to document the whole experience with pictures!
Our home for the night and the beautiful trees surrounding our campsite. I have to have trees when camping - for the beauty of being surrounded by nature, the protection from the elements and the extra privacy between campsites.
Mikey found a frog! There was quite the excitement with this discovery and he hung onto this little guy [in the water] for most of the time. His mom wouldn't let him take it home though. I don't blame her!
That night we had a campfire - thanks to Sean, because I hate building campfires! I always made my girls at camp do it as "part of their certification"! - and roasted marshmallows for s'mores.
Ethan was in and out of the tent for a while - he couldn't decide if he wanted to lay down or sit with us by the fire. Finally, Sean convinced him to come sit with us and taught him the tradition of singing around the campfire. Ethan chose the same 3 bedtime songs he always picks: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star; I am a Child of God and "the Angel Song" which is the one that Sean always sings to him. I got this video of the two of them singing together.
I slept terrible that night, which I'm guessing is largely to do with the fact that I slept on the crappy air mattress and it was completely deflated by morning. So I got up early, went to the bathroom and read outside for a while. It was still pretty early, but I was getting cold, so I went back to the tent to get my sleeping bag (which I had to pull over Sean to get it out) and forgot that I had tucked the flashlight into it. Yeah, guess what fell out as I tried to pull my sleeping bag out... onto Sean's head! Ohhhh, I felt so bad!! Especially because it was our MAG flashlight and those things are heavy! All was forgiven... I think!
Anyway, once everyone was up, we had pancakes and sausage for breakfast and then went ahead and started packing up.

Well, Sean and I packed up... Ethan just sorta wandered around our campsite.
In the bottom left picture you can see Ethan playing with some cars I brought for him after he very specifically told me not to bring them for him because he would not be playing with them!And that's pretty much it! We're hoping to go maybe one more time before the cold weather and rain sets in - maybe even a 2-nighter!


3 comments:
How fun! I can't believe this was your first camping trip! We love camping! Our boys can't get enough! It's their one chance to be completely boy and get all dirty and eat smores and junk food and scratch up their knees. We should go camping with you!
"Why would I want to pretend to be homeless?" HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...I laughed out loud and it will make me smile all day. Also, one of my friends went camping and instead of using graham crackers for their s'mores they used those shortbread cookies with the chocolate drizzles on them (Keebler type, perhaps?). Anyway, she said they were marvelous -- way better than the graham crackers. Thought I might have to try it sometime. (This comes from two people who aren't fond of graham crackers!) :) Good post. I'm sorry about Sean's head. Sort of. (I'm still getting over his declaring my weirdness on Facebook.) ;) ;) ;)
yeah! Why WOULD you want to be homeless?! JK I actually missed camp this year. I was kinda jealous of everyone else who went camping...
I can't believe you dropped the MAG light on Sean's head!! sheesh! lol
Post a Comment