Have y'all read this series yet?? And do you remember that I don't read anything unless it's worth my time? Therefore, if I recommend a book/series, you know it's gonna be good! I started this series last year. My friend Vicki started the series and let me read the books as she finished them. Well, she gave me the first book (Uglies) and I let it sit on our side table for weeks (maybe months) before I finally picked it up and read it. Surprise, surprise, I loved the book! I couldn't hardly put it down. So I got the next book from her right around Christmas time, thinking I would have all this extra time to be reading while we went on our big road trip to visit family. Ha! I didn't pick it up once - we were much too busy having fun with our family! I think sometime in late Spring of this year I finally read Pretties, then I immediately read Specials and then I got on the waiting list at the library to read Extras. Yeah, my turn on the waiting list came up right after I started the Harry Potter series again {literally, I had just started book 1}. So I picked up Extras from the library and pretty much let it set on the side table all summer while I finished reading Harry Potter. I think I renewed it twice {luckily there were no holds on the book, so no one was waiting for it} but when I went to renew it a third time there was a hold on it, so I knew I better hurry and read it! I admit, it was a little slower going than the first 3 and harder to get into, but I kept reading and the last half was definitely worth it. Great, great series! Set in the future, it was interesting to hear the characters talking about previous generations and then realize they were talking about us! It's got a corrupt "government", rebellious teens, hoverboards and awesome futuristic technology - not to mention a strong cast of characters. I loved the moral dilemmas between being pretty (post-surgery) but essentially brain-washed and ugly (pre-surgery, natural) but with all your own thoughts in tact. Not as good as the Hunger Games series, but if you liked (LOVED!) that series, you will like these too.Happy reading!
1 comment:
Thank you. I have been looking for something new to read. I have been re-reading The Hunger Games. I need to get the other two in the series though. I've read them...just want them!
Post a Comment