Sunday, August 10, 2008

Velkommen!


Friday night Ethan and I, plus my little sister and my grandparents of Danish descent (last name: Toftdahl) went to the Scandinavian Festival in Junction City. It is a family tradition and we rarely miss a year. In fact, we first found out we were pregnant with Ethan the night we went to the Festival back in 2006 - so he's been every year! This year Sean was at scout camp, so he had to miss out on the fun - and especially the food! Honestly, I think it is the yummy food that gets us out there some years. We usually pass on the aebelskiver (pronounced "able - skeever") booth, though, because both my parents and grandparents have their own special pan and we have the recipe and the skill to make them ourselves. My dad just taught me a couple months ago, so now I'm anxious to get my own pan!
For the record...
Aebelskiver: One of the main reasons folks come to the Festival! You can watch these hollow pancake-like balls being made, then eat them with powdered sugar or jam.

Elisabeth enjoyed a steak sandwich and I had an authentic dinner with a chicken/sausage-like patty, rarakor (lacy fried potatoes) and rod kale (danish sweet and sour cabbage). Pretty much the only time I'll eat cabbage! Dessert was fresh, local ice cream cones and then we took home a fri-jo (yeast-raised deep fried Swedish pastry, rolled in cinnamon and sugar) to our families.

We also got to watch some of the dancing, the nightly parade and the vikings strolling throughout the streets.

It was a very fun evening... until I realized that I'd left my 2GB memory card for my camera at Wal-Mart on Monday!! Ahh!! Don't worry, I got it back Saturday - Thank Goodness!! I did get some pictures, but they're on the camera's limited internal memory, so I haven't had the chance to download them. So the awesome pictures of Elisabeth doing the rock-climbing will have to wait!

4 comments:

Christi said...

Looks like good times!!

The Grahams said...

Wow, that looks like a ton of fun! I didn't know they had a festival like that there. What a great tradition!

Emily said...

Oh man I'm so jealous I love that place! And the aebelskivers are so so yummy. I love to walk around and look at everything and eat the yummy food!

Karen K. said...

You made it look and sound so fun! When I went it was literally wall-to-wall people and we could barely walk. Maybe we'll have to try again sometime. I want to dance and be swung around like those girls in the photo!