What you need:
* Pasta - 10oz to 1lb... I usually just eyeball it or throw in a whole box of the desired shape, it also depends on how many you're cooking for.
[note: spaghetti, fettuccine, linguine, bowtie all work great and tube-shaped pasta would be my last choice because I don't think it holds everything together very well.]
* Veggies - broccoli florets, zucchini, squash and halved grape tomatoes are all good (especially in the summer when these veggies are super fresh and yummy... I usually do at least the broccoli and tomatoes for a nice pop of color against the paleness of the pasta)
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine (less if you're trying to be healthy... olive oil could also be used, but I've never tried it)
* 1/4 cup (or so) lemon juice (adds great flavor... I'm sure fresh squeezed would be even better, but I always just use the bottled stuff in my fridge)
*About 1 cup Shredded or Grated parmesan cheese or a combo of shredded italian cheeses like asiago, romano, etc. (this is really a texture thing... the shredded melts a little more into the hot pasta - either is good and I usually buy those tubs of pre-shredded in the deli section)
* Pepper to taste (1/4+ tsp. or so)
* Fresh chopped italian parsley, basil or oregano if desired (this sorta fancies it up... using the fresh herbage and all)
So here's the deal, this all goes together super quick so be ready!
1. In a large pot, get your water boiling for the pasta and be sure to generously salt it.
2. Meanwhile, wash and chop your fresh veggies so they're ready to go.
3. Add your pasta to the boiling water and cook to package directions.
4. About half-way through the pasta cooking time blanch your veggies in another, smaller pot of boiling salted water - except for the tomatoes.
5. Cook pasta to al dente and drain well. Return to pan and immediately add the butter to the hot pasta.
6. When butter is melted, add 1/2 of the cheese, pepper and fresh herbs and thoroughly toss.
7. Add veggies, lemon juice and remaining cheese and toss to combine.
8. Serve right away and be sure to scoop up any veggies that have fallen to the bottom of the pan.
Note: this also goes great will some grilled lemon/herb chicken.

Bon appetit!
4 comments:
Mmmm...this looks delish! I will definitely give this recipe a try, thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the recipe. I heard you made it when you came down at Christmas time and have been meaning to ask you for the recipe. It looks better than I thought. Todd shouldn't have spaghetti sauce due to heart burn, so it's nice to have other things to do with pasta.
And notice this is a great "meatless" meal - so healthy!
Your Dad - the vegetarian
I am so glad you posted this quick and easy recipe. They are always handy and I like getting the low-down from someone who's actually made it. But you have even perfected it, and according to my sources it was quite delectable.
Post a Comment