Monday, June 15, 2009

Never a Dull Moment with the Stk. YW presidency!

Oh boy, what a weekend!
Well, it started out (at least in my mind) as an "oh, I have no plans this weekend other than chaperoning the youth dance on Saturday night and going to Oakrdige on Sunday" type weekend... what a joke!

Friday night Sean left for the ward Father/Son camp-out... leaving me with Ethan. Go figure - father/son camp-out and just the father goes! Ethan's still a little young though, but Sean had assignments so he had to go. No worries. We picked up auntie Lizzy and headed to Wal-Mart (there was a very specific request for s'more fixin's and we were almost out of milk). We made a pit-stop to pick up our pizza on the way home... 1/2 cheese and 1/2 Hawaiian, just the way Lizzy and I like it, and then settled in to watch Miss Congeniality. "I am in a dress, I have gel in my hair, I haven't slept all night, I'm starved, AND I'm armed! Don't MESS with me!" And my other favorite line from the movie: "Hey! I'm gliding here!"

Saturday morning Ethan and I got up bright and early to go and decorate for the Hawaiian-themed youth dance later that night. That was an adventure. I thought that I had a key to the closet where the decorations were... turned out we were talking about different closets. Luckily, Bro. Blair from the YM presidency was there and he had the right key. Phew! After that we went to go visit Eileen (our 2nd counselor in the presidency) and her new baby girl!! Her and her husband have 2 older boys and decided not to find out the gender for this one. Their little Lillian just arrived last Thursday and she is already such a cutie! Next we headed home for lunch and naps. Sean got home too and we were all three exhausted! We rested up, though, and then went to Christine and Shalene's (my cousin's wife) graduation BBQ for dinner before I zipped off to chaperon for the youth dance. Of course, since Shelley (our president) was gone it meant that I had to be the "bad guy" for any girls who did not meet the dress standards. Not a fun job.

Sunday morning I was up bright and early again to meet up with Shelley (who was back in town) to make the what-should've-been a 50-minute drive to Oakridge for their branch conference and training. Instead, neither of us knew where we were going, received bad directions and traveled nearly every back road in the Westfir/Oakrdige area except for the one with the church on it! An hour and a half later, we finally made it for the last 10-15 minutes of sacrament meeting. After the 3-hour block was Girls Camp Sunday, then a luncheon (Thank you Oakridge for the yummy lunch!) and finally the training. To add insult to injury, we received great directions on how to get back on the main highway and had no problems finding our way back home - not a single wrong turn!! Of course, it really didn't help that everyone failed to mention that the first turn off the highway is right across from the Ranger Station!! Umm, hello, that's a pretty big landmark and a whole lot easier to spot than a road sign. [[sigh...]] We got home by about 4pm. 9am to 4pm is a really, really long day on limited sleep with lots of driving.

I'm looking at our calendar right now, so far nothing is on there for this Saturday. Sounds like a good plan to me!

1 comment:

Shalene said...

Boy what a weekend...you were swamped...glad that you made it to oakridge...and I love watching that movie...two of the best quotes...