Today I made shortcake. I have literally been meaning to do it for almost a year. All last summer I had intended on making homemade shortcake to have with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream and well, it never happened. This afternoon I finally pulled out the cookbook and made it and guess what? I didn't follow the directions exactly. I mean, not really that big of a deal - if you're not making individual shortcakes you're supposed to put the dough in a round pan. I put it in a square pan but I had to laugh as I did because it totally reminded me of the old "cutting the end off the roast" story. You know, the one where the kid is asking the mom why she always cuts the end off the roast and the mom says it's because that's the way grandma always did it and she had learned it from the great grandma. And what was the reason? She cut the roast to make it fit in her pan! Anyway, I can just hear it now...
Future child of Ethan: Dad, why do you always bake the shortcake in a square pan even though the directions say to use a round pan?
Ethan: Because that's the way Grandma Jenn {yes, they will call me Grandma Jenn because I will be that cool of a granny!} always does it.
Later....
Future child of Ethan: Grandma Jenn, why do you always bake the shortcake in a square pan even though the directions say to use a round one?
Cool Grandma Jenn: Because when I made it the square pan was clean and more handy!
Bam! End of story. Mystery solved!
So tonight we dined on mac-n-cheese from scratch, stir-fried green beans and homemade strawberry [square] shortcake!
3 comments:
that sounds delish!
sounds very tasty! A good story too :)
Oooh, that sounds so good. I want strawberry shortcake now. Why do you tempt the pregnant lady?? ;)
Post a Comment