Monday, November 28, 2011

Z.C.C. spells "ZOO"

Well, it does in Ethan's eyes when you're using Scrabble Cheez-It crackers and can't find an "O".
But, obviously, what impressed me the most was that our little dude spelled "ZOO"!! I wasn't even in the room, but he called to me while I was in the kitchen making dinner {yes, I was letting him snack before dinner - no, you should not judge me!} and said he'd spelled "Zookeeper" {which we had just rented and watched not too many days before} and then he yelled, "well, actually it's just 'zoo'!" So I came to have a look and, sure enough, he'd spelled "zoo". Then he made sure to point out that he couldn't find any O's, so he'd used C's instead. Pretty brilliant substitution considering the situation!
That same week, when I was putting away Halloween decorations and rearranging harvest decorations, Ethan saw one of our everyday decorations that says "Establish a House of God..." among other things, but "God" is the biggest word on it. So he picked it up and asked me what it said and then proceeded to sound out the word God on his own. It took a few tries. He recognized the word "Go" right away in the beginning of the word, so that was throwing him off. He was wanting to read it "Go-awd" so I reminded him a few times to sound each letter out and then he got it! All on his own. I was so impressed!

He's been reading other three letter words here and there, so long as they are phonetic. It's exciting and scary at the same time!! Hard to believe my little baby boy is growing up.

2 comments:

Alysha said...

That is pure madness right there! I can't believe how big he is getting!

Kirsten & Midge said...

Wait till you are at the park and they start reading the graffiti to you. Fun times.