Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mother's Day 2012

Mother's Day this year was relaxed and low-key. It even *sorta* started on Saturday when I got a couple hours to myself while Sean took Ethan on some "super-secret" Mother's Day errands.

Sunday morning was my first-ever breakfast-in-bed!! We didn't even have a tray until Saturday when Sean picked one up at Target just so we could have one for such special occasions.

[Photo from my new phone!]

Then it was off to church, where all the moms got homemade chocolates - white, milk and dark chocolate macadamia nut turtles and different flavors of caramels. Seriously, the ladies in our ward look forward to these every year! 


After sacrament meeting Ethan proceeded to throw a major fit because he couldn't go with me to the Sunday School class that I teach. Sean even had to take him out to the car for most of 2nd hour. By 3rd hour he still hadn't calmed down much, but Sean had to go to Young Men's so Ethan came with me to senior Primary. Finally he calmed down - pretty much because he got his way by default and got to be with Mommy. In senior Primary the kids all filled out these little "I love my mom because..." flowers. Ethan refused. No hesitation - flat-out refused. 
But... 
With a little coaxing from Mommy he agreed to answer and let me write them down.

My Mom love me because:  "I love her"
My Mom makes the best: "Cookies"
My favorite thing to do with my Mom is: "Make silly faces {on the webcam}" and "Go to the park"
My Mom is good at: "Kickboxing"
My Mom is as beautiful as: "A flower"
My Mom teaches me: "To be good"


Once we got home, we changed into comfy clothes, snacked, read the paper, laid out in the sun, called our moms and just spent the afternoon/evening together as a family. Sean and Ethan got me some fun gifts and cards: 

Cookie decorating set, See's chocolates and the flour sifter I've been wanting/needing!

 Beautiful purple flowers that lasted almost 3 weeks but I waited over 2 weeks to take pictures of!
 
 Sean's card to me - he finds the best cards!

 Ethan made this in Preschool. It says: MOM - I love you because... "you are the best mommy and take me to chuck-e-cheese."
Chuck-E-Cheese. Really?? Is that supposed to be a hint?
Uhh... Yeah. Ethan has been to Chuck-E-Cheese a total of TWO times since we moved up here 2 1/2 years ago - both times were for birthday parties! Then, come to find out, Ethan didn't even say the "you are the best mommy" part - the high school buddy wrote that! Oh, the love of a child.
  
  I also *sorta* got this from Ethan... The Activity Day girls that I work with painted them for their moms and since (Sean and I both work with the youth and have to be at the church at the same time every other week) Ethan was there, he also got to paint one! The girls all added this vinyl lettering to theirs as well.

 Ethan's card cracked me up, though! It was spot-on!!
This actually happens on an almost-daily basis in our house. Usually with "Mom!" being yelled, whined, ahem, said a few more times than what's on the card.

We ended the day with a BBQ, thanks to grill-master Sean! And Ethan even got to run in the sprinklers a bit since the weather was so nice and warm and sunny. Not our typical Sunday activity, but we made an exception.

I'm so blessed to be my little Ethan's Mommy. Even though we both drive each other crazy sometimes, I am so, so, SO happy he is in our little family. Seriously, he is one of the cutest, the coolest and the smartest kids I have ever know. I may be just a teensy bit biased, though!

Mother's Day 2012

And finally, a little shout-out of gratitude to my Mom, Lynnie, Grandma Mary, Grandma Sandy, Grandma Southworth and all the other wonderful examples of motherhood I have in my life! Thank you for all you do for our family! We love you!!

No comments: