Monday, November 17, 2008

What's that noise?

Over the past couple of weeks we have come to truly understand that the answer accompanying this question is usually not an answer we really want to know. I'll wait, though, to give you our own, personal examples. First, an outside (i.e. movie) example!

The Movie: Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York
The set-up: Harry and Marv (the blundering crooks) have chased Kevin (the scheming pre-teen) into a house undergoing major renovations. Kevin slams a door at the bottom of a staircase and runs up the stairs. Marv and Harry are both running after him and Marv yanks on the doorknob. This triggers a booby-trap sending a large 5ft. tool chest down the stairs.
Marv: "What's that sound?" as he puts his ear to the door.
Harry: "I don't know..." as he also puts his ear to the door.
CRASH!!!
Marv (with broken nose): "That was the sound of a tool chest, coming down the stairs."

See?! Not a good outcome!!

Now to our own examples.
This was the answer to the question a couple of weeks ago after running the garbage disposal:
Apparently Ethan's fork was down there, and yes, I did this one.

And then Friday night, on our way to meet my parents for dinner. As soon as we're on the main road I start to hear something. It sounds like there's something caught underneath the car so Sean pulls into the right hand lane and I think he's going to pull completely over. Nope, he keeps going because he doesn't see that we're dragging anything and isn't hear the noise at the particular second. Just as I'm about to tell him to still pull over, I see in the side mirror something fly off the roof of the Explorer and land in the street. I knew what it was immediately. "YOU PUT HIS PLATE ON THE ROOF?!?!?!" That's right, Ethan's personalized lunch-tray plate that was filled with his yummy dinner and covered with plastic wrap had been flung to the street. Sean pulled over and I hopped out to go get it. I picked up the loose saran wrap, expecting to see the plastic plate scratched up but still intact. After gathering up most of the pieces, this is what I was able to reassemble:
I know that we will ask ourselves this question again... and probably not like the answer, but with kids it is bound to happen.
So in response to the question, "What's that noise?" hopefully we can try to avoid such answers as:
"Ethan coloring on the walls."
"A baseball through the dining room window."
"Ethan's bike that was left out behind the car."
etc, etc, etc.

7 comments:

Auntie M said...

Well, it would seem that E.G., like me, is blessed with graceful parents. ;)

Karen K. said...

Normal parents, Tory. Normal. Your turn will come!

Thanks for the laugh. I'm sorry about the plate. It's really cute. My "What's that noise?" was mice skittering around in the walls. Since I'm not afraid of 'rodents' and was raised with hamsters and such I just thought it was "cute." Scritch scritch. STUPIDDDD! I had no idea how much mice stink when they infest one's house. In fact, it's time for the traps again. P-U!

Todd said...

Lately for us it's been more a case of knowing exactly what the noise is... at around 2:00 am. I think Spencer's got another tooth coming in.

Shalene said...

its too bad about the plate and fork!!! good thing it wasn't extreamly valuable. i like the way you set the post up with the example it was funny.

Sean and Steph said...

Oh no! What a cute plate! I'm sure you'll have many more humorous answers to that question!

Chad and Jessica said...

LOL. The little surprises of life....lol. That fork looked hilarious....you can barely tell it's a fork. And that plate makes a nice mosaic now. You were so good to pick up all the pieces on the side of the road....Way to go....I am very anti-litterbug...I think it stems from when I worked at Cinemark and had to clean theaters with people's cups of chew (tobacco, chewed, and spit back out into those lovely courtesy cups we gave them!!!! DISGUSTING!!!

As for noise....there are so many weird sounds that come along with this house, that you can really freak yourself out if you listen too much....tehe.

Christine said...

The movie resemblance on this whole litte event was the best! good job!! That has always been my favorite part of the movie- with lots of crings! lol
I'm sorry that it happened though! I love that plate! Maybe we can find another!