Thursday, January 8, 2009

Days 5 & 6: Christmas in Cali















Alright, I guess I'd better get on the ball and write our Christmas post - especially since I never finished my Halloween post with pictures of Ethan in his costume... that may still come, so don't laugh if it does!!
*Christmas Eve*
Let's see... Baking, last-minute shopping, live music and being surrounded by family and friends were the highlights from our Christmas Eve. In the morning I made peach cobbler (Grandma Mary's yummy recipe) and raspberry shortbread cookies (Grandma Sandy's recipe - though I had to change the name from raspberry triangle cookies because they aren't actually in the shape of a triangle and that really bugged me!) for the festivities later that evening. Sean also whipped up a batch of chocolate oreo balls - so easy, but oh so good! Finally, while Ethan was down for a nap, I rushed to take a shower and then made a very last minute trip to the Simi Valley mall for a couple of gifts. Made it about an hour or less before closing and I used every minute! Normally I am not a Christmas Eve shopper unless it's for stocking stuffers, but we had all been so sick and then busy getting ready for the trip that I just hadn't had time to finish up. It all worked out in the end, though.
That night we had friends of Sean's family over for dinner and then sang carols around the piano with Loren (Sean's dad) on the guitar and their friend Gary on violin (I forgot mine at home!). We even had at least one person per part - Sean singing tenor, Todd bass, Cassie alto and me and Alysha as soprano (though we were taking turns chasing after the Ethan-ator)! Once everything settled down, we opened our Christmas jammies and then Papa read this year's Christmas book: The Light of Christmas.











Here's a picture of Ethan in his Christmas jammies - while "visions of sugar plums dance in his head."















*Christmas Morning*
Of course, the little-little ones were up first, but once everyone else was up we took our traditional picture on the stairs.
Pictured top to bottom, left to right: Alysha, Cassie, Ethan, Sean, Me, Muffy, Spencer and Todd.














Just us.














Ethan's Santa gift (a Southworth tradition - a small, unwrapped toy is left by the now-empty plate of cookies for Santa): CARS shake-n-go race car!














Spencer with his Santa gift: a wooden train.














Cassie with her gift from Ryan, Amy, Jonathan and Ella - a mirror framed with little picture openings and some of them already filled in with pictures of her and family. Amy - she LOVED it!!














Ethan with his "Handy Manny Deluxe Talkin' Tool Box Set" from Nana and Papa. This was definitely the year of Handy Manny toys - Ethan LOVES Manny and will come running in from the other room if we turn it on for him!














Alysha and Spencer with his new "Spin-A-Letter" toy.














We all made quite a haul this year between my family and Sean's - I'll spare you the full rundown, though, and just list the highlights! Ethan got several different Handy Manny toys, puzzles, books, toy cars and trucks (including a fire truck), clothes, new jammies, froggy slippers (he shuffles around the house in them now!), a ride-on dump truck, a car garage toy and a new toy cellphone. I got a beautiful sapphire necklace from Sean, clothes, Nike running shoes, make-up, DVDs, jewelry, a Yankee candle and a new winter coat (once I go shopping and find one I like!). Sean got a new navy pinstripe suit from me and Ethan, clothes, lots of new books, shoes, cologne, a snowflake tie, folding garment bag (for suits, etc.) and Barnes & Noble gift card. As a family, we also got the games Princes of Florence and Typo and a Red Robin gift card!
Once the presents were opened and the breakfast casserole was eaten, we spent the rest of the day relaxing, grazing on leftover Christmas eve dinner and treats and playing games while the little ones napped.
Ethan with his new ride-on dump truck complete with various truck noises.

































*Christmas with the Toftdahls*
So we celebrated Christmas with my family a little before we left for our trip (read the new Christmas book together) and then mainly the Sunday we got back, on the 28th -but I thought it'd be easiest to keep all of the Christmas pictures, etc. together.














Ethan was more than happy to open some more presents, but he got a little preoccupied with his new cellphone, so Auntie Elisabeth had to help him out a little. She didn't mind that either since she only had a couple presents from us to open!
A new book from "Tia" (Auntie Christine) and the Handy Manny "doll" we got him... Do you still call it a doll if it's for a little boy - is there some other name for it that I can't think of?? "Doll" just seems so little girly...













Lis-beth and Ethan at Gramma and Grampa's for the post-Christmas celebration.














A shot of Ethan by our tree at home. Don't even ask for the story behind this picture, though I'm sure Sean would very gladly tell it!!














We thoroughly enjoyed both of our Christmas celebrations - in somewhat sunny southern California on Christmas day and then in rainy, cold Oregon a few days later! We are so blessed to have such a wonderful, loving family on both sides!! Thank you, thank you to everyone who helped make our Christmas special this year!!

3 comments:

Karen K. said...

I'm envious. Christmas just wasn't Christmas this year with no family... ah well, at least I'm here in Utah and that has been a definite highlight of the new year! Anyway, I LOVE the picture of Ethan in his jammies. I also love that you have the traditional picture on the stairs and all the other traditions. Fun pics!

Anonymous said...

Todd and I also got a Red Robin gift card for Christmas. My parents gave one to all the kids and we went there as a family today. It was fun. I was a little disappointed I didn't get dessert because Todd wanted to hurry and get home=( Oh well. I don't need it anyway.

Christine said...

CUTE and FUN! I missed ya guys! But it looks like you had fun still! lol
loves