Saturday, January 17, 2009

Good Soup Weather

I've come to the conclusion that one of the perks of all this cold winter weather is that it definitely makes for good soup weather. Or chili or stew, but you get the point. A meal in a bowl, and a bonus if you've got a nice chunk of crusty bread.

When Sean and I were first married, we used to have "soup and sandwich Sundays". With a summer wedding and living in Oregon, cooler Fall weather was in full swing by late August/early September and we spent almost every Sunday after church (having 11am church helped) enjoying our last bit of weekend together over a bowl of hot soup. It actually wasn't always a sandwich that went with it, sometimes just a bisquit or some french bread, but the same idea. Now, with church callings and Ethan added to the family we don't always get the luxury of sharing our Sunday afternoons together like we used to, but we still enjoy a good bowl of soup on a cold day.














So... the other day I made Taco Soup. Threw everything in the crock pot before work in the morning and presto-chango we had dinner hot and ready when we got home. Seriously, this was some good soup and so, so easy.

Taco Soup
1 lb. ground beef - cooked and drained
2 cans diced tomaotes
1 can pinto beans
1 can beef broth
1 can corn
1 small can diced chilies
1 packet taco seasoning
1 handful dehydrated onion (or chopped fresh onion but I try to avoid chopping onions when I can)

Step 1: Plug in crock pot.
Step 2: Dump all ingredients into crock pot and stir.
Step 3: Cover with lid and turn on low.
Step 4: Let cook for several hours (or all day while you're at work).
Step 5: Serve with corn chips, cheese and sour cream.

It's that easy!! Enjoy the soup weather! :)

6 comments:

Sean and Steph said...

Sounds delicious!!! :) I'll have to try it!

Karen K. said...

Yummmmmmers! I love taco soup with lots of corn chips!

Shalene said...

that sounds like a tasty meal!!! i will have to try it!!

Christine said...

I love that soup

The Grahams said...

I just realized I haven't commented on your blogs! I have really enjoyed seeing and hearing about your adventures in CA. We really want to take Jackson to Disneyland this summer now. You guys had a busy Christmas! All those pictures turned out great, and that is so neat you guy's got to be there for the baby sealing.

Thanks for the RSVP for the blessing...... not too sure about food yet. We are pretty covered for the main meal, so maybe a simple dessert (we might have a lot of people) like cookies or whatever would be great! Thanks!

Marsaili said...

Ooh, that sounds so good! I will be trying that out on Sam very shortly. :)