So, I'm hoping Sean and I aren't the only ones that do this, but our bedroom is SO neglected on the household chores chart. It is ALWAYS the last room we get to when we clean... IF we even get to it! Especially when people are coming over, the living room, dining room and kitchen always take priority, followed by the bathroom and Ethan's room. And the biggest mess factor in our room? Laundry in laundry baskets! It's not that we don't put our clothes away - I'm really good about getting Ethan's folded or hung up and also kitchen and bathroom towels, but I am horrible about putting my own clothes away and we are notorious for having a basket of whites laying around that never really gets put away. [[sigh...]]
A couple of Saturdays ago we took charge! The rest of our house was already pretty much picked up and clean - just needed to clean floors, so we tackled our room. I am happy to report that BOTH of our closets are now neat and organized. My dresser, both the top and all the drawers, is clean and organized. Our "nightstands" (we're poor and waiting to invest in a nice, coordinating bedroom set - so our nightstands are really just plastic crates on their side - I know, very "college dorm room" but it works) are clean - well, Sean's is really neat and clean, mine is picked up, but not very organized. Floors are vacuumed and surfaces (TV, mirror, dresser, etc.) are dusted. It looks SO MUCH better! It's still not perfect - I have a box of girls camp stuff to go through, but it's nice to have all the floor space back and I swear you sleep better in a clean room. (My dad is probably nodding his head vigorously in agreement about now!) Now we just need to finish tackling some laundry - there's a couple loads that we didn't get to Saturday afternoon.
Overall findings for the day:
- 42 bobby pins
- at least 3 lip glosses/chapsticks I didn't know were missing
- 6 hair ties in various colors
- a fancy pair of dangly chandelier earrings that I had forgotten I own (I think they were a Christmas present last year... anyway, I wore them to church the next day!)
- $11.76 in change :)
And our reward? We went out to Red Robin for dinner with my dad so Sean could enjoy his free birthday burger. And an added bonus - Ethan was very well-behaved at the restaurant (he usually does okay, but this was above his typical antsy, only mildy entertained restaurant demeanor).
Now, bets on how long our clean room will last?!??
Update... we got a new bedspread! It's not my "dream" bedding set, but it's in the colors I like (cream, dark brown and sort of a robin egg blue/green) with some nice textures. And the bonus? I got it for $35 with a pair of coordinating pillow shams. Sweet. I'll add a pic soon, I really just wanted to get something new posted.
6 comments:
You mean it's not NORMAL to have a pile of clean clothes?? Haha ...
As soon as my exam is over (tonight) I am going to clean. If I start cleaning when I should be studying, I never study.
I hear you on the clothes. I have no problem getting them washed but have a hard time getting the clothes folded after they are clean. And the bedroom is always the last in our house to get cleaned because nobody sees it so we don't worry about it that much.....sometimes we get to cleaning it though... :)
I miss you! I was talking with my grandma about camp and sis south and the good old days. Well now you are a sis south! Anyhow- sorry my access to technology is limited- but it was fun to see your cute boy and garden and that you all are doing well. Love ya!
That is so sweet of you to get Amy flowers! She should be home now actually. I'm pretty sure she went home yesterday. So if you dropped them by her apartment, I'm sure that'd be great!
Yes, it has been said that you DO sleep better in an uncluttered environment. I have no idea... ;) As far as nightstands go, we have one 'real' one that goes with the set I inherited from my great aunt (that I'm grateful for but not in love with) and an unfinished one we bought probably 10 or 15 + years ago and it's still unfinished. I also generally have a basket of whites sitting somewhere in our room just waiting...
Oops. That was Karen, not Sarah!!! I didn't know she was signed in... Guess I'd better comment on your new post too. I haven't been reading blogs much so haven't commented. I also like comments so I will try to comment more for you. :) ~Karen
Post a Comment