* Portland Trip #1 - June 6th: This was the Katie weekend. Sean was super nice and let me go in for Katie and Javier's sealing in the Portland temple while he stayed out and watched Ethan on temple grounds. 

Afterward we stocked up on some new g's and grabbed a snack while waiting for the other Katie to get home from the hospital with her new baby girl, Molly.


Afterward we stocked up on some new g's and grabbed a snack while waiting for the other Katie to get home from the hospital with her new baby girl, Molly.We only stayed for a little while because Ethan was having too much fun exploring their whole house and the new parents looked pretty tired. Our late lunch/early dinner was at one of our favorite restaurants, Sweet Tomatoes!! It's practically a Portland tradition since we don't have one in Eugene. We ended the day at Katie and Javier's reception back in Eugene.

* Movie of the Month: STAR TREK!!
Ok, I am SO NOT a Trekkie. Just the word makes me cringe. BUT! Sean had been wanting to see this movie and I figured I'd just go with him... until I saw the TV preview. Genius move on the their part with the "This is NOT your Father's Star Trek" in BIG BOLD letters. That made me sit up and take notice for sure, non-Trekkie that I am. Anyway. GREAT movie. Loved it! Would see it again except that we only make it to the movie theaters once a month!
* Uncle Tory - We are absolutely loving our time with Uncle Tory home from college and pre-mission. He truly is like the "little" (he towers over me at about 6'2"!) brother I never had... hence the reason Ethan calls him Uncle Tory. It's so fun to have him over, especially because it only take about 45 seconds for him to get from his house to ours (just around the corner). I really like watching him and Sean interact because it is very similar to Sean's relationship with his brothers Todd and Ryan. And one of their favorite past-times? Playing the piano and singing... quite loudly I might add! Tory is an amazing pianist and organist and has a special talent for site-reading so we love to have him on the keys which also frees Sean up to sing (always a delight). They make a great duo! :)
You will find Sean and Tory "rockin' out" almost every Sunday evening at our house!* Fire Station Open House - We nearly missed the newly-remodeled fire station open house. When they had the ground-breaking ceremony for the new project, we got a postcard invite in the mail since we live so close and figured we would get something similar for the open house. No such luck. I just happened to catch the info on it in the Sunday paper just a couple days before. 

Inside the ambulance and fire truck.

The view from one of the windows... that's our house on the right. They look right into our living room window!



It is a very nice station house and the only one in Springfield that is two stories, i.e. a fire pole to slide down. Unfortunately, that wasn't open to the public. ;)
* Volleyball:

I have been going to play volleyball Tuesday nights... very fun but I do feel a little awkward playing with all the YSA (young single adults). They make me feel so old! There are a few other marrieds that play so that makes me feel a little better.
* Relief Society: I had my first opportunity to teach Relief Society in our ward. The lesson was on member missionary work and I realized as I was preparing for it that I hadn't really taught a lesson in church in about a year and that was in young womens! It had been over four years since I had taught in Relief Society!! No pressure there. I thought the lesson went really well, though. I think I have a bit of a different teaching style than what they're used to (especially since I'm used to working with the youth) so I'm hoping I was able to mix things up a bit. There was lots of participation, questions and comments and that always helps to keep things moving instead of just standing at the front and talking or reading a lot. I am always grateful for the input! We'll see if they ever ask me back though. ;)


The view from one of the windows... that's our house on the right. They look right into our living room window!


It is a very nice station house and the only one in Springfield that is two stories, i.e. a fire pole to slide down. Unfortunately, that wasn't open to the public. ;)* Volleyball:

I have been going to play volleyball Tuesday nights... very fun but I do feel a little awkward playing with all the YSA (young single adults). They make me feel so old! There are a few other marrieds that play so that makes me feel a little better.
* Relief Society: I had my first opportunity to teach Relief Society in our ward. The lesson was on member missionary work and I realized as I was preparing for it that I hadn't really taught a lesson in church in about a year and that was in young womens! It had been over four years since I had taught in Relief Society!! No pressure there. I thought the lesson went really well, though. I think I have a bit of a different teaching style than what they're used to (especially since I'm used to working with the youth) so I'm hoping I was able to mix things up a bit. There was lots of participation, questions and comments and that always helps to keep things moving instead of just standing at the front and talking or reading a lot. I am always grateful for the input! We'll see if they ever ask me back though. ;)

15 comments:
Boy what a month!! I haven't seen the star treck movie yet but probably when it is in the 1.50 movie :) Glad you were able to go to the sealing of katie and her husband they look very happy!
I do read all your posts, even though I don't comment very often--but I'll try to do better! Sounds like you guys had a full month! Going to the temple is always good, especially for a sealing. Some friends of ours got sealed on Friday (an older couple--the husband was baptized a year ago). It's nice to have the temple so close and not have to make the drive into LA.
I've heard from several people now that the Stak Trek movie was really good. We need to get out to the movies more. I think we've been twice since Spencer was born, but we're going to try to see the Harry Potter movie this weekend.
Anyway, thanks for all your posts! Keep 'em coming!
I LOVE Burgerville, but it just occured to me that I don't think I've ever actually had a burger there. But their fish and chips, milkshakes, and walla walla onion rings are the BEST!!
Sounds like a fun month. I love that Katie B got married! Cute pics!
And what a dream come true for a little boy to have a fire station across the street!
I have to say, I very much enjoy and look forward to your monthly recaps! You guys are so busy, and I like reading about all the fun stuff you do. My life is kind of boring in comparison! haha
Star Trek = awesomeness!
Keep 'em coming! :)
Sounds like everyone really liked Star Trek... can't wait til it comes out on DVD (that's what happens when you don't have family close enough to babysit... you wait for it to come out on DVD). Anyways, you guys have had a lot of weddings to go to this summer! And next time you are up here you HAVE to go to Five Guys... it's right off the 217 about 10 mins. from our place!
And I do read your posts.... I have been bad about commenting on everyone's posts for the past couple of weeks... we've just had a lot going on. But keep the new posts up cuz we like to see them!
You forgot to mention that Sean is an amazing singer. An accompanist isn't much without a superb vocalist like Sean A. Southworth.
I like you playing VB with us! It is fun! And I love to hear Tory and Sean play! And Star Trek is AMAZING! 3x already!
Oh and lets go to Five Guys next time we are in PTOWN
1) Thanks for posting the Katie/Javier pics. I spaced their reception so still have their gift at home (I'm on the road home from Utah right now) so this is a good reminder to get it to them!
2) When I lived in Albany we had a Burgerville and we never considered it anything special--sort of like McDonald's or Burger King. Nancy and I stopped there after the ward temple trip too. We were in the drive-thru line for at least 20 minutes and the hamburgers were definitely not worth the $3.50 we had to pay for them! I would have like to try 5 Guys but we didn't make it there. We did eat at Cafe Rio though--that is a place to go if you want a LOT of food (and to pay a lot too ;)
3) I can only imagine how much fun it must be at your house on Sunday nights "rockin' out" with Tory and Sean.
4)Wish I'd been able to be at your RS lesson. How did you change things? I always get so stressed about teaching cuz I am not good at speaking without having notes (basically reading) and I always have to have lots of visuals. Really, I detest teaching. I need to learn how to "magnify" my calling though.
Now,does this comment make up for my lack of comments for awhile??? :) Good post (oh, and I will definitely look for the Star Trek movie to be in the $1.50 theatre. I'm feeling too poor to consider the expensive one after this two-week escape to Utah!
Addendum: I should always check my comments before making them permanent. NANCY and I ate at Burgerville. It was TIM and I who would have liked to eat at 5 Guys and we did eat at Cafe Rio.
Busy, busy! I totally get your previous post about no comments...I get it too! I read all the time, and I totally use your friends list to check out who has posted lately. Lame. I just need to update my friends list someday, but it is just too easy to visit your blog and check it out then!
That is a lot!!!! I still haven't seen that movie. I have heard good things about it. I bet Ethan loved that open house!!!
Now I want to go and see the Star Trek movie. Ken has been dying to go for so long. Let me know if you would ever be interested in exchanging for baby sitting. I was thinking about having the oldest two go to friend's houses so it would just little Evie. Let me know if you are interested.
Katie Blair got married!! I had no idea! YAY!
Post a Comment