Saturday, September 25, 2010

Job Lay-Off

Well, I guess it's time I let everyone in on some changes that will be happening in our family. I am being laid-off. After 10 years and 9 1/2 months with the same company, I am going on a permanent extended leave. And, to be honest, I am pretty happy about it! I'm not sure many people being laid-off from their job are as happy as I am. I have known for about six weeks and at first it came as quite the shock. I knew lay-offs were coming, but I figured I was safe since I was only working 2 days a week and was still finishing up training the new girl. I was wrong. I had always figured when I finally left, it would be on my own terms. Once I had time to really think about it, though, I was glad it was on their terms for one key word: unemployment. Not that I am proud of the fact that I will be on unemployment, but it will definitely help out our family as we transition. I'm going to look for a new job, but it's going to have to be just the right one - decent pay, minimal hours and only 1 or 2 days a week. I really don't want to work part-time every day. I'd rather just work a full day, 1 or 2 days a week, and be done with it. So we'll see how that search goes. I'm not sure what I'll qualify for yet with unemployment, but we're hoping with that and the savings on gas we should just about break even.

I'm going to miss getting to work with my dad. He was always one of the few that helped me keep my sanity! It was sad when I started to think about it and realized there's really only a handful of people I will miss working with. I used to be so close with everyone there - especially when I was working in the service department and directly with the techs. Now that I've been back in the office for so many years, I don't really have any interaction with them. The main thing I'm NOT going to miss? The commute!! Two hours down on Wednesday morning and two hours back Thursday night. Yeah, I am soooo not going to miss that.

What's the very best part about all of this?? I will be a full-time-stay-at-home MOM!! Am I excited? Yes!! Terrified? Yep, that too!!

Anyway, that's what's new in our lives. My last day is the 30th, so as of October 1st I will be a free woman!!

5 comments:

Shalene said...

Good Luck!! It will definitely be an adjustment. But i'm sure you will find lots of things to do to fill the time ;)

Bethany said...

After working this summer, I decided that full-time stay-at-home momming is the best (for me), but it's not always easy.

And as for comments ... two kids just keeps me a lot busier, so a lot of times I just fly through reading stuff without having time to comment. But both boys are asleep right now, so I've got a little extra time.

The Grahams said...

What type of work are you looking for? It is so nice to be a stay at home mom full time! I LOVE it. You never have to miss out on those important moments! Good luck in the job search!

Megan and Greg said...

Ha, you are so silly! I just read you LAST post. To be honest, I have hardly read your blog lately, but as you know I've been a little busy. Sometimes life just gets busy. I wouldn't worry about people not reading. I realize more and more than many people read and never comment. As for THIS post. Wow. Sorry about the lay off, but it sounds like a good thing- which is GREAT!!! 2 hours? Are you KIDDING?!!!! I would HATE THAT COMMUTE!!!! OH! I hate a 20 minute commute. I had NO IDEA you were doing that. Stay at home Mom? Sounds awesome. Can't wait to hear about it. Good luck with finding a new job. I hope you get one. And hey, you pay your taxes- there is no shame in collecting unemployment. Especially if you need it. I can't believe you've been at the same job 10 years. That's how long I was working as a stylist. Well, almost. Isn't it weird we can be in these careers so long already? Aren't we way too young? Bizarro.

Alysha said...

You should use your free time to take a class or two! It'd be fun. :] Good luck with the job hunt