Saturday, September 11, 2010

Utah - July 2010 part 2

Utah
July 2010
part 2: Seven Peaks and Christine's Birthday


I'm going to skip around a little bit here.... Christine's birthday was on Tuesday, so I'll get back to Sunday and [most] of Monday in the next [and last] post.

Monday night we went to Brick Oven Pizza in Provo, despite Christine's protests that no one really goes there, because it is one of my mom's old stomps and because they have really good pizza! Of course, Monday nights are free Root Beer nights, so we were all over that! Then my mom got them to sing to Christine for her "birthday" [a day early] and she got a chocolate mousse pie for her embarrassment. Lizzy and I thought it looked pretty tasty, so we ordered one to share. We only got about half-way through between the two of us, but it did not disappoint!

Tuesday, on Christine's actual birthday, we had quite the day! First up was the free breakfast buffet at our hotel, then we headed over to Walmart to restock Christine's fridge and pantry and Lizzy and I decided to get some party decorations to make her apartment a little more festive! Then, while Christine scooted off to class, we went back to her apartment to decorate, clean-up a little and I also baked her a batch of yummy, gooey, cinnamon-roll goodness. From scratch. And they were heavenly, if I do say so myself!

Later that afternoon, Lizzy and I met up with Christine at Seven Peaks, where she was scheduled to work, but was able to get the day off so we could stay and play!! I seriously don't know how families afford that place, though. Christine had free passes for Lizzy and I [normally we would've been $21.95 each plus tax], but I still had to pay for the locker rental [$6 including $2 refund w/ key return] and 2-person tube [$9 including $1 refund when tube is returned]. We were able to avoid the $5 parking fee since my mom just dropped us off. Plus, there is no outside food or drink {Side story: I thought I'd removed some granola bars and fruit snacks from my bag - turns out I still had a small, unopened box of granola bars I'd forgotten about since they'd been in there since I first packed for the trip. Holy big deal!! I really hated to just toss them in the garbage because, of course, our ride [my mom] had already left. They called over the head security guard who then all-but-escorted Christine to her work locker so she could put them in there. Sheesh. They are not joking about there no outside food policy! On top of that, I also had a bottle of nail polish in my bag and there's a no glass bottle policy, but they said they could put that in the front office so I could pick it up when we leave. Ay-yi-yi! Next time I'm making sure my bag has strictly a towel and sunglasses only in it!!} We did have a great time going down all the slides. I had not been to a water park in soooo long! Of course, all the ramps and stairs to climb to the top to go down the slides reminded me how out of shape I am. Ugh. Not a fun reminder!We went on all but the scary-steep slides. I'm getting too old for those, anyway! What really cracked me up, though, was Christine and Lizzy's resistance to go on them. Especially when I was Lizzy's age, I would've been doing them all! I distinctly remember a trip to Raging Waters with one of my best friends, Jenny, where I did all but the "Rollercoaster" {which apparently is now called Waimea} slide. That included the super-steep-go-down-on-your-belly Acapulco Cliff Dive!! Yeah, both of these slides require a 7-story climb and Jenny even did the Rollercoaster. I guess we were adrenaline junkies in those days. Back at Seven Peaks, we also did something else I never would've done in my youth... floated on the lazy river! I so enjoyed it, though! So relaxing floating along in the cool water with the warm sun bronzing up my skin. :) Anyway, I think our favorite slides were Cave-In and Vortex, both of which got ample screams from me!!
Can you tell this picture was snapped before we got started with the slides? i.e. Hair is still dry and looking good. Oh, and apparently I am the only loser in the family without white shades. Even my mom has a pair! Lame.

After the water park Christine dropped Lizzy and I off at our hotel so we could shower and make ourselves presentable for her party. She had quite the crowd there!Here they are all holding up 2 fingers on both hands because she was turning 22! Of course, it was still about 1000 degrees outside, which made it about 2000 degrees inside her apartment with all those people, so after birthday cake [DQ ice cream] and some chit-chat........ the gang headed outside to the sand volleyball pit to get their game on.Then, once everyone had left, it was present-time.See the rolling pin Christine's holding up? Yeah, I got that for her. Wrapped it all up... after I first used it to roll out the previously mentioned cinnamon rolls!! Oh, the love! Oh, and that's Matt, again, in the the star shades above. Anyway... Christine, I sure hope you enjoyed your birthday as much as I did!

5 comments:

Christi said...

Looks like you guys had a good trip!! I haven't been to a water park in forever, looks fun. I think I need your cinnamon roll recipe!

Kirsten & Midge said...

Looks like fun. We need a water park in Oregon.

Karen K. said...

Oh my goodness..cinnamon rolls. I love them and never make them. Probably cuz the best ones are filled with lots of milk and butter. Oh well, I looked at your recipe anyway. Just to drool.

Christine said...

It was so much fun! I finally went on Boomerang and LOVED it! Course I was squished in the middle of Dan and Jordan, so I felt safer! lol
Thank you for decorating and making those yummy cinnamon rolls! :)

Greg and Julie said...

Great job on the re-cap, you hit all the highlights & LOVE the pictures!