Monday, September 13, 2010

Utah - July 2010 part 3

Utah
July 2010
part 3: Cupcakes, Independence Day, Visiting Friends, BYU sisterly love and all the rest


Ok, so now let's go back in time a little bit. Sunday, the 4th of July {aka Independence Day}, and as previously mentioned, the first holiday my little family of 3 was divided. Me in Utah and the boys home in Washington {click here to read how they spent the holiday}. Sad. The day started with church at my Aunt and Uncle's ward and when we got home we started making BBQ dinner preparations. And here's where the cupcakes come in. My cousin, Niki, had baked up a couple dozen cupcakes and then gave us all a mini lesson on how to turn them into beautiful sunflowers or put that cute little swirly on top {proud to say that I already knew how to do that!}.Not bad for a bunch of amateurs! Of course, Niki got all fancy with hers and turned one into a pretty impressive panda bear. While decorating these bakery-window-wannabe cupcakes, I got a picture text from Sean of Ethan in his festive Sunday Independence Day attire.I admit, this probably wouldn't have been my first choice {sorry Sean}, but then again, I'm not sure I would've been this creative! I do love the red tie, white shirt and silver vest. And either way, he is such a handsome little dude!

So after we had a super-yummy BBQ dinner with everyone, my mom and sisters and I booked it over to West Jordan because I had a rare opportunity to visit my childhood and long-time friend, Jenny {the same Jenny mentioned in the previous post when recalling our trip to Raging Waters} - she had just had TWIN girls a few weeks prior. Yeah, I was in newborn-baby-holding heaven with little Audrey and Kinsey. Not too mention how great it was to see some old friends. Jenny and I are holding the twins, her dad and his mom are next [Gramma Barnes!!!], then my mom and in the front is Jenny's mom with my sisters on either side. Did you follow all that? We totally crashed the tail-end of their family get-together, but I didn't feel too bad because it was so fun to see everyone. Plus, I had permission from Jenny!

From there we went our separate ways... mom and I back to my aunt and uncle's house and Christine and Lizzy back to Christine's apartment in Provo. Lizzy thought she was pretty much the bomb-diggity for getting to stay in the apartment [two of Christine's roommates had already moved out, so there was a spare bed]. She kept saying that she can NOT wait for college.... to have her own place.... do her own grocery shopping.... cook her own food.... Ha ha!! I totally forgot how glamorous living on your own looks to the young-ins still at home!!

Monday Lizzy and Christine first went to the Freedom Run to try and cheer cousin Niki on, but she was lost in the crowd. They had a poster made and everything. Then they spent quite a bit of time in the pool in the a.m. while Mom and I pack up our stuff in Bountiful. That afternoon, Mom and I were dying to lay out by the pool since we had missed it, so Lizzy and Christine played some ultimate Frisbee and then met us back at the pool. As seen in the pics above, there was an awful lot of basketball dunking, handstands and overall goofing around. The joys of being without Ethan someplace warm and with access to a free pool!

That night, after Brick Oven Pizza for dinner {again, see previous "part 2" post} we met back at the hotel, along with Christine's friend Matt, to play games. Yeah, that ultimately ended in a wrestling match between my sisters and Matt.Tuesday was already covered, so now we just have Wednesday. Our bonus day since we were supposed to be driving back to Oregon. Once again, we decided to stay an extra day. We slept in and skipped the free breakfast because we were just too beat! Then we headed over to the BYU campus and got J.Dawgs hot dogs for lunch. YUM!! May I recommend the all-beef dog with special sauce, onions, a pickle and mustard. Did I already say YUM?!?!! With that in our bellies, we raced across campus to make it to Christine's ballroom dance class. I thought I was going to hurl. Especially when we had to go back UP the steps from heck. Unfortunately, Christine had to work that afternoon/evening. So the rest of us went back to her place and bummed around - which definitely included more pool time!! And once Christine got home from work, we had one last impromptu photo shoot... in our matching BYU tees.
The next morning we {the original 3 who started this trip} loaded up my mom's car and headed home.

Funny side story about me: My mom let me take over the driving for a while once we were in Burns. Me, having never drove to Utah, except while following my mom's car in April, failed to double-check with my mom to know which road to get on. She was out-cold the second she got in the passenger seat and I just assumed there was only one way to go out of Burns to get to Ontario. Yeah. I was wrong! Several times I was thinking that I didn't remember these white gate thingies, but mom just brushed it off and I kept driving. It wasn't until I asked her about an upcoming fork in the road that we realized something was wrong. Terribly wrong. I was in southern Oregon!! Well, after a bit of panic, we pulled out the map and figured out where to go from there and only ended up being about 45 minutes total out of our way with no back-tracking. Phew!!
Me at the concert, sporting a rockin' glow necklace. You know you're jealous!

Funny side story about Lizzy: One of the mornings she was at Christine's apartment she called me up in a bit of a panic. She was making brownies and needed 2/3 cup of something, but Christine was in the shower and didn't have a 2/3 measuring cup! "Relax!" I tell her, thinking her only options were, like, a 1/2 cup. "What measuring cups do you have?" "Well..." she says. "I've got a 1/4 cup, a 1/3 cup, a..." I stopped her right there, trying not to laugh to hard... "Just used the 1/3 cup twice!" Long pause..... "Oh." :)
This was taken of Lizzy the first night, just after we got to Bountiful. When she should took both air mattresses and doubled them up Princess-n-the-pea-like.

We got home late Thursday night, crashed, and the next day Lizzy drove back to WA with me and babysat while Sean and I went on our awesome 5th anniversary date night!

3 comments:

Karen K. said...

Yum, love the cupcakes! I wish I knew how to decorate them.

I think it was Burns where we took the wrong road when headed to Utah. We kept expecting to see Ontario. I remember making comments like "I don't remember the town of Rome," or "wow! you can see the Steens Mountains from here. I don't remember ever seeing them before!" Etc., etc. It was when we saw the sign "Welcome to Idaho" that we figured it out. Slow, slow, SLOW! It was funny though.

Also, I loved the 2/3 measuring cup story. Just one of those "duh" moments we all have at times!

Christine said...

Bwhahaha I told Matt that those pictures were never going to be shown anywhere but my laptop. Whoops!
I had fun with the cupcakes, swimming and everything else we did! :)

Greg and Julie said...

This is a perfect re-cap...It was fun being in Utah & getting to Utah. Next time we will get the bigger hotel again. :)