Saturday, October 9, 2010

Swim Lesson Attempt #2: FAIL

Well.... we tried. Monday evening and all-day Tuesday we talked about swimming lessons - what happens when we get to the pool [change and shower off], who he goes with [teacher and other kids] and what they'll do [kick and float and blow bubbles in the water] - and Ethan was completely gung-ho!... right up until we started to drive to the pool Wednesday morning! But we went anyway, got him changed and showered off and headed to the pool and that's when he froze! We were there early and I tried to take him to his teacher, but he wanted nothing to do with the teacher, other kids and the pool. When it came time to get in the water, Ethan fought it, but when his teacher reached out to take him I went ahead and passed him off hoping he'd calm down once he was in the water. I backed away slowly and then went to watch with the other moms. Ethan was still freaking out {and I started to worry he'd have a breath-holding spell - worst episode was here} and the second the teacher put him on the edge of the pool to kick with the other boys, he bolted!! I met him just outside the pool doors and, while holding him, walked back to the pool to thank the teacher for trying but he told me he had a lifeguard coming out to work with him one-on-one. She was very helpful and we both tried, as well as the lesson coordinator, to get him in the water but it was to no avail. In the end, I decided we'd try the parent-toddler class next and wait a while. They were nice enough to credit back all of the lessons except for one. I think it was mainly separation anxiety because he's never had problems being in the water before, so hopefully a parent-toddler class {where I'm in the water with him, the teacher takes him for a while and then gives him back} will help.

After our morning drama, we snacked on bananas and headed to the craft store to check out the Halloween stuff and so I could get some Modpodge for a craft I'm planning - I'll post pictures when I'm done. We found lots of fun and easy Halloween crafts the two of us will be working on over the next couple weeks, including this monster mask. Paid a whopping 79 cents for it and it has already provided him much entertainment. Originally, I'd planned on letting him use my paint {i.e. not really washable!}, but he was so eager to work on it that he was more than happy to use his watercolors.
After the craft store, we made a Target run {my Target trip frequency has dramatically increased lately!!} to get our copy of Beauty and the Beast!!And, of course, we had to go home and watch it while we ate our PB&J sandwiches for lunch! :)

6 comments:

Greg and Julie said...

Another Disney movie - tell me how it ended (has it changed)? I am glad you got a copy before Disney seals them up in their great big vault. YES, and mom got her copy too - Just in case the Disney police stopped by and could see our collection was not complete...!
You may want to ban me from commenting on your blog!!
LOVE Dad

Daniel and Tiffany Ward said...

Good for you for trying again. We have these floating things. They are like little square life jackets but there are numerous pieces of foam in them. As the child adjusts to swimming with it then you can take a piece of foam out one at a time so they gradualy have to work harder and harder. We love ours.

Christine said...

I need to get the movie still! Sorry that Ethan didn't want to do swimming lessons. Maybe next time. Dad, it is a classic movie! We have to buy it! :P

Kate @ Our Best Bites said...

Hey, girl!! Guess what--you won the hard anodized cookware on our giveaway! :) Email us your mailing info at general (at) ourbestbites (dot) com so we can get it sent out to you! :) Congrats!

Marianne Barker said...

So, off subject here, I'm not on FB any more, so pardon the comment here on your blog. I was looking at BHG and Our Best Bites and saw "Washington Southworth" was the winner of the first set of cookware from their contest. WOW! Congratulations!

Greg and Julie said...

Ethan is such a cutie...Those Halloween masks were a fun idea. I want to come up sometime when you start your parent/child swim lessons & take pictures!! Oh, & don't listen to dad, Beauty & the Beast is a must have Disney classic!!!
Love Mom