Friday, November 19, 2010

October Recap

I just realized the other day that I had yet to do October's recap! Almost three weeks into the month and I just now notice. Ay-yi-yi. What can I say, I am a busy mom! Anyway, here it is...

* Date-night-movie-of the-month #1: Yes, you read that correctly... we actually got to see TWO movies this month! The joys of baby-sitting trading. First up we saw Grown-ups in the cheap theater. Hilarious! The cast worked great together.

* Date-night-movie-of-the-month #2: A couple weeks later, we were able to have another date night and decided to see Hereafter. It was... not what we expected. And a little weird. Way more artsy than we were expecting and I wouldn't recommend paying full-price to go see it. Also, it moves pretty slow, so if you can't tolerate artsy, slow films - this is so not the movie for you. I'm even a Matt Damon fan and was still not all that impressed. Oh, and the beginning is sad. I'm pretty sure I just killed this movie for all of you. Sorry! November's movie was awesome, though!

* Zoo: $2 Tuesday is now $4 Tuesday at the Zoo - still way cheaper than paying full price, though. After last May's horrific ordeal just to get in {over-overflow parking, shuttle bus and over an hour to get in}, I was determined to get there early and park at the zoo. Ethan and I were up early and out the door sometime after 8:30am. We got to the zoo just after 9am and there was hardly anyone there! Front row parking, we walked right in and it felt like we had the place to ourselves! I think it helped that, besides being early, it was cold and was supposed to be overcast/rainy. It was also the first time we attempted no stroller and just used the monkey-backpack-harness thing. I hate to use it, but in a big place like that, it sure helps and it worked great! Since there were so few people, must of the time I just tucked the leash-thing in the back-pack, but when it got crowded it helped to still give Ethan some freedom without having to worry about him running off or being snatched up!
There was an awful lot of walking that day. I'm used to it, but it wore Ethan out pretty good. He didn't complain until just a little bit at the end. Other than that, he was a trooper determined to not need his stroller!And, as you can see, it was actually a beautiful day! Cold, but sunny. And, yes, I did let him play in the giant sandbox {like I promised him clear back in May} to his heart's content. I think we were there for a good half-hour, plus!

* Play dates w/ Maddy: We have Maddy over now at least every other week, if not on a weekly basis. They play well together and it's so funny to watch some of their interactions together! Like, in the top right picture, Maddy convinced Ethan to dance with her.They love to do arts and crafts, especially painting. Ethan had already painted his monster mask, so he worked on a ceramic magnet while Maddy painted her mask. They are seriously so cute together... when they are getting along!
[Funny side story about them and male/female interactions. The two were playing outside and Maddy decided she wanted Ethan to come sit by her. Ethan was oblivious and running around with his arms outstretched, calling himself superman {and Maddy decided she was superman pink}. So Maddy calls out, "Come here Ethan! Come sit by me!" as she tapped the spot next to her. Ethan, still oblivious, says, "I'm Superman!" Maddy, not skipping a beat, says, "Come here, Superman. Come sit by me!" as she tapped the spot next to her again. And, of course, all of this was said by Maddy in a sugary-sweet voice. It was hilarious!]

* French dip sandwiches w/ homemade oven fries:We had some potatoes that needed to be used up, so I tried my hand at homemade oven fries and they were so yummy! Just cut 'em into wedges, tossed 'em w/ a little olive oil, salt and spices and threw 'em in a super-hot oven for about 20 minutes.

* Warm, sunny day: We had some beautiful weather here in the pacific northwest in October, but one day in particular it was warm enough that Ethan wanted to be outside, playing in the water!Now, compare that to less than 2 weeks later when Ethan played outside in the water.Yeah, quite the difference!!

* 4 miles walks: As much as we can, Ethan and I try to get out for a walk in the morning and pretty much go four miles every time we venture out. It was especially nice in October and, as I've mentioned before, we admired the changing colors of the leaves each time we went out.
* Oldest nephew's baptism: Our oldest nephew, Jonathan, turned 8 in October and was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Unfortunately, because his family lives clear over in Pennsylvania, we weren't able to be there for the big day. We were with him in spirit, though. Jonathan also got the amazing opportunity to be baptized in the Susquehanna River, where Joseph Smith was baptized. {I hope Amy doesn't mind, I stole this picture from her blog.}
* In case you missed it... events of October already covered:
- Pumpkin Patch
- Halloween
- Oregon visit

No comments: