First off, the spaghetti sauce recipe. Up until last year, I had never, ever, ever made my own sauce. I thought I had to slave in the kitchen over a simmering pot for hours and hours. Not with this recipe. It is quick, easy and TASTY!! I got the original recipe here but have changed it up a little to fit our family. Oh, and if you have a food processor - use it!! We only have a small one that works as a attachment with the motor from our immersion blender and it works great for this. Saves me time and hassle.
For the sauce:
* 1 medium onion (white or yellow) diced (or chopped in the food processor)
* 2-4 cloves garlic (depending on how much you love fresh garlic) minced (or pulverized in the food processor)
* 1 tsp. Kosher salt
* black pepper to taste
* 1 Tbl. or so Italian seasoning
* 1 bell pepper (preferably green for color) diced (or chopped in food processor)
* 2 medium carrots finely chopped (or pulverized in the food processor - you want small, small pieces)
* 1 can tomato paste
* 1 can diced Italian-flavored tomatoes
* 1 can tomato sauce
* 1 lb. ground beef
Plus
* 1 lb. spaghetti (we've found we prefer the thin spaghetti noodles)
Saute onion in olive oil and add garlic. Add ground beef and cook through. {Meanwhile, get the water going for the pasta and be sure to add plenty of salt.} Once meat is browned, add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Mix well and then add bell pepper and carrots. Cook for a minute or so and add all three cans of tomatoes. Let it all simmer together while the pasta cooks - at least 10 minutes.
We LOVE this spaghetti!! Nice, hearty, soulful, comfort food - fit for company or just the fam. The original recipe calls for adding sugar, but I've found it difficult to judge how much and it was sweeter than we like. Instead, I add the carrots - they add a nice sweetness plus it's one more veggie thrown in the mix. I love that Ethan "doesn't like tomatoes" and eats this up! He has no idea how many veggies he is getting in his dinner. :)
As for the "poor-man's garlic bread" - this comes from a trick my dad taught me. He often made "garlic bread" with leftover buns or bread that we had on hand and I have affectionately dubbed it "poor-man's garlic bread" in recent years for a couple of reasons... 1. We have a small family and when I buy hamburger buns we rarely eat them all before they start to go stale. 2. I make this with whatever bread buns and cheese we have on hand - I've never gone to the store and bought the ingredients with "poor-man's garlic bread" in mind.
Anyway... Split the burger buns, sandwich rolls or whatever in half and butter the inside of each half, which will now be the top side - make sense? {Oh, I also just use our tub margarine for this - not real butter. That is saved strictly for baked goods!}
Finally, a question to you all. It was recently suggested to me that I start my own cooking blog {Jenn's Best Bites was even thrown out as the title} and while I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon, I am curious to known if there really is an interest in seeing more recipes/cooking segments on our blog. Just curious... I won't be offended if you would rather I keep it mainly about my adorable family! :)
2 comments:
Yum,I love a good spaghetti sauce. We totally had that bread growing up too! Awesome!
I like the recipes thrown in with the mix, but still like hearing about the fam too...I say combine the two.
I am always looking for some new recipes to try. So, I agree with Emily - combine the two. You don't need to start a new blog, but just put them up on this blog. Unless of course you really want to start a new blog just for recipes. Either way sounds good to me.
Post a Comment