Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Brushing Teeth and Clapping Hands, but Still Not Quite Walking

Alright, I've already gotten multiple requests to post the pics of my new hair, and I promise they are coming... hopefully by this weekend. The problem is that Sean's computer is currently out of commission and mine is a hand-me-down laptop (though I'm very grateful to have it) that is several years old (I've had it for 4 or 5 years and it was an older model when I first got it) and runs a little slower. It also doesn't have wireless internet, so I am tied to the desk in the dining room. Anyway. The camera software was loaded into Sean's computer and not mine, so I need to do that before I can upload any pictures. They ARE coming, though - not to worry. Plus, I still have Easter to write about, which judging by everyone else's blogs (especially those with family members in the 2-year and younger age-range) is going to be old news. Oh well. Deal with it! :)

Back to the task at hand...

I love watching as Ethan learns and develops new skills. It is such a joy. He has pretty much mastered clapping, though not always on demand. BUT... the other night he was right in sync with the television audience for Dancing With The Stars - his cousin Reagan's favorite show. The dancers would finish a performance, the audience would clap, and then so would he! It was very cute to watch. And it was late, so he was tired and he just looked so serious about it! It was also nice to be cuddling with him on the couch.

Next: We have been trying to brush Ethan's teeth every night before bedtime - oh, the joy! When we first started, he was pretty fascinated by the whole idea and fairly happily obliged to the nightly ritual. It wasn't long before the novelity wore off and it became a nightly battle. I'm pretty sure that most babies are secretly contorsionists (sp?) and can wriggle into just about any position - always the exact opposite of where you want them. After battling for a month and a half or so, one morning I was holding him in one arm and brushing my teeth - he got an up-close view of the process, and seemed to take a new interest in it. The routine became less of a struggle again - especially if he got the opportunity to do a little of the brushing himself. Well, the renewed interest did not last long until just last week. Sean had finished brushing his own teeth one night and had just rinsed his toothbrush - he has an electric one. Ethan was, of course, at his feet because he follows everyone into the bathroom (the door is open on rare occasion) - just for fun, Sean turned on his toothbrush to do a quick brush on Ethan's teeth. He LOVED it! All sorts of giggles!! So this is our new thing for teeth brushing - our son has to have an electric toothbrush and then the task gets done without a fuss. It's a good thing those are a lot cheaper these days!

Moving along - no, Ethan is still not quite walking - so close, though. I know everything changes once they start walking, but I am sooo anxious for him to do it!! Most of my friends' one-year olds are walking - though Ethan is one of the younger ones - and I'm so excited for him to join in the fun. He can practically run laps around the coffee table, as long as one hand is always touching. He is also standing very well - can touch the floor/pick up a toy and stand back up - and is almost able to get into a standing position without holding on to anything. He's taken a couple of steps here and there, but hasn't actually taken off yet. He's still got time, but it seems like everything else came a little early and it makes it hard to wait for this milestone.

And finally. Saved the best for last... the other night I went in to check on the little sleeping angel just before I went to bed (something I have to do before laying down) and he stirred and very sleepily woke up when I got close to the crib. He was definitely in a daze - he sat straight up, but wouldn't let me lay him back down. Well, I couldn't resist and I picked him up and rocked him a little until he had shut his eyes again. When I tried to lay him back down, though, he was still having trouble relaxing and he stood up next to the railing in the crib. Then, the sweetest thing happened, he pulled on my sleeve for me to get closer, gave me a big hug and layed back down to snuggle with his blanket. My heart melt. As I walked out of the room, he just kept laying there - watching me leave before closing his eyes (the crib bumper is currently not in the crib). These are the kind of moments that make me love, even more than before, being a mom.
Goodnight to all. Below are some old, and cute, pictures I have - the bottom two are my favorite. This will have to tide you over until I can get the new ones up!








2 comments:

Emily said...

Those are cute pics! Sounds like he's super close to walking...how fun! I think it's so cute when kids clap, I love it!

Good job figuring out how he likes his teeth brushed. It will be SO worth it to not have the struggle!

Matt and Christy said...

I love reading about Ethan. It brings back fond memories of Elijah. They grow up so fast! Don't worry about his walking- Elijah didn't start until almost 16 months. He was a super-fast crawler and didn't see the point in walking!!!