The day had a rocky start from the beginning. Just before I got ready to waddle into the shower, I looked down and noticed something on the engagement ring (the bigger one) of my wedding ring set - just glancing at it, it looked like there was a fuzz or something caught on one of the prongs. It was much worse. Upon closer inspection, I realized that a prong from the main stone was bent almost completely back!! I love my rings, so I was devastated to see something wrong with them. I carefully took the ring off and put it in a box or ziploc bag - I don't remember which, and put it in my purse so I could take it to the jewelers that very day. Well, that was just the start...
I went on to work - probably late - it's one of my worst habits (inherited from my mom) and then had a doctor appointment later that morning. This is when my day went from bad to worse (or at least it seemed that way at the time). After the usual: pee in a cup, weight and blood pressure check, etc. I met with my doctor. Heartbeat was still good on baby - no worries there. Then she went to 'check' me. I had not dilated at all (I was secretly hoping for maybe a centimeter or two) and baby hadn't began to drop. In fact, he was still so high up that she couldn't even feel his head - believe me, she tried. [I hope this isn't too graphic for anyone!] Well, this was no surprise to me - I still looked like a capital "B" from the side! My upper half was just chest and then right into belly. Then came the 'bad' news: apparently I have a very narrow pelvis - something I had told her was a possibility at the beginning of the pregnancy because my mom had to have all c-sections. Unfortunately, it's not something you can really check for. She said we'd just have to wait and see how things go, but basically to not be surprised by a planned c-section. I had been preparing myself for this news all along, but somehow hearing it straight from the doctor was 10 times harder. We made an appointment for a week and a day later (the following Thursday because she was booked for Tuesday and Wednesday) and she sent me on my way. Side note: I had already received my "papers" at the previous appointment.
Well, I cried almost all the way to Valley River (shopping mall), convincing myself the whole way that I had at least an 85-95% chance of a c-section. I dropped off my ring at the jewelry store to be fixed and headed back to work, though first I called and bawled to Sean and then called my mom to inform her that it was all her fault that I had to have a c-section. I was so convinced at this point that I would not be having a natural delivery that I made sure to include the info in a group email I sent out to family and friends that day. I also reassured my co-workers that weekend that there was absolutely NO WAY I would be going into labor over the weekend (they told me I'd have to cross my legs!) and not to worry about the fact that our office manager would be out of the country all of the next week. "I will be here," I said. "Look at me," I said, "I'm still a capital "B". The baby hasn't dropped. I haven't had any contractions. It's still 2 weeks early. It will be fine. DON'T WORRY!"
Saturday we went and picked up my freshly repaired, and very sparkly ring - they decided it would be best to do a switch and take my band for a couple days to send it off the be all shined up and made extra sparkly, too. So I left the wedding band and took the engagement ring part - even though it is hard not to have the full set. I was told I could pick it by Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. . . .Ethan started to drop Saturday evening, I went into labor on Sunday and Ethan was born on Monday evening. One of my co-worker's response? "I TOLD you this would happen!" Imagine the look of shock from the employee at the jewelry store when we come in the following Saturday to pick up the other ring and we now have a baby in our hands and not in my belly!

2 comments:
Wow! Good to have all that documented and look at what a memory you have!!! Sorry about all the craziness a year ago but look what you have to show for it? A beautiful little boy!!! Ethan's adorable! What a BIG smile! I love it!
Good to see how you're doing.
hehe- I remember that sunday when we kept telling you that you were NOT going into labor- you proved us wrong! but i never said thank you for getting me out of class- so thank you! :)
Post a Comment