Friday, July 4, 2008

Family Tradition: Em's Baseball Game and Fireworks

So it has become a family tradition to go to the '4th of July' Em's baseball game and then stay and watch the fireworks afterwards. The Em's were away this year on the 4th, so it was fun to start our Independance day celebration a little early!

Last year Ethan was very tired (and hungry) by the time the fireworks started, but he still watched the show. Last year it was also HOT!! Oh man, it was so hot I felt like I was melting. We were miserable. And of course, no breeze in the stadium. I remember looking at the digital display clock/temp and I'm pretty sure it was still over 90 degrees after 9pm. We roasted! Luckily Ethan was still so little that he slept for a lot of the game.
This year, after a frantic search for the tickets I misplaced - I was sure I had pinned them to our bulletin board along with all of our other tickets (movie passes and Phantom tix) - we were just a little late. It was still the top of the 1st inning, but we missed the National Anthem and opening pitch - bummer! Ethan actually did really well this year - watching the game and especially all of the people!! Of course, it helped to have one set of grandparents, two aunties, Christine's boyfriend and a family friend there in addition to Sean and I - lots of helpers willing to go on walks with him when necessary. The Em's lost - 5 to 2 I think - but the fireworks show afterwards made up for it. A solid 25-30 minute show with a fantastic finale! We were a little worried that this might be a screamer year for Ethan - the booms echo off the stadium walls pretty loudly, but there were no complaints from our brave little guy. He watched the show in awe. He even pushed Sean out of the way so he could have a better view! It was a long, but fun evening and Ethan was fast asleep by the time we pulled into the driveway - after 11pm. What a trooper! No meltdowns, no major fits, just a happy little boy with a big grin on his face as we enjoyed the loud, bright fireworks display.

4 comments:

Marsaili said...

That first fireworks pic is really neat! Happy Fourth of July! :D

Christi said...

Looks like fun. Happy 4th.

Emily said...

Awesome firework pics! Baseball game sounds super fun! It's so fun to start traditions with our families.

Anonymous said...

I like the pictures with you and Ethan and Sean and Ethan watching the fireworks. Spencer also has that outfit Ethan is wearing. They both must have great taste when it comes to clothes.