Thursday, October 30, 2008

18-month Check-up



Yesterday I got off work early to take Ethan to his 18-month check-up (even though he's closer to 19 months than he is 18 months, but whatever). Here are the stats:
Height: 32 1/2 inches - 50th per.
Weight: 22lbs. 14oz. - 11th per.
Head: 18 1/2 inches - 25th per.

He doubled his weight percentile since his 1 year appointment. It's still low, but he'd been in the 5th percentile for over a year! And it's not bad considering when he was SUPER sick in late April/early May he dropped down to a little over 17lbs. and was only in the 2nd percentile!!
Other than that the doctor said he was doing really well. He thought it was interesting how the breath-holding spells had worsened when Ethan was teething so bad - made notes in his chart. And, actually, Ethan nearly had a breath-holding spell when he got his shots. Poor guy!!
Finally, Dr. Hemsley was impressed with Ethan's vocabulary and communication skills. Apparently verbal development is different in boys and girls and starts to show even at this young age. He said it was normal for a girl to put words together, but not so common in boys his age. Pretty cool. We're always impressed with our little boy. I thought it was interesting that the doctor had picked up on this because we had been noticing it as well. His vocab has more than doubled in the last couple months. In fact, I've even been keeping track of his growing vocab on the right side of our blog. He's learning 2-3 new words a week and has been continuing to use them once he learns them. We get a couple of one-time copy cat words, but most he understands and adds to his list. He's one smart cookie!
Overall: clean bill of health and continuing to grow and develop just as he should.
I just LOVE this little guy!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I love that little guy too! I can't believe how much he has learned and that he is still growing- but still only in the 11%! lol