This proved to be quite the conflict of interest. You see, I am a proud Springfield High alumni - class of 2000. However, Sean, Ethan and I now live out in the Thurston area of Springfield and most (if not all, now that Tory is gone) of the youth at our church go to Thurston High school. Of course, Sean and I both work with the youth so we root for them whenever possible. Sean couldn't go to the football game because he was still in Salem after his 2-day conference (yep, this was the same weekend as the mold incident) so it was just Ethan and I.
I donned an old SHS swimming sweatshirt and blue puffy vest for the big game, but I put Ethan in a both-crowd-pleasing navy blue sweatshirt and the red side of his puffy vest. Done. Both sides equally represented!!
Springfield definitely doesn't have the best record for football wins. When I was going to school, their band program was huge and one of the best around. It's still good, but not nearly as big. So I would usually go to the games to be with friends and also to support all of my friends in the marching band. My little sister, Christine, was also a proud member of the SHS marching band when she was in high school. And I'm sure Elisabeth will join right in with her sax playing! Anyway... Ethan was definitely a marching band supporter - I think his favorite part of being out in the cold was hearing the music through his muffled ears!
In the end, we were FREEZING. Springfield got CRUSHED - 41 to 0. Ouch. But my Thurston kids were happy! We even ended up leaving early because we were cold and hungry sore losers - my mom and Elisabeth had saved us a seat. We met up with Sean, my dad, Christine and her friend Matt at Roaring Rapids pizza to ease the pain of defeat!

Ethan loved it when his auntie "Lisbeth" took him to pretend to drive the car on the car racing game in the arcade. Just before we left, we got in one ride on the carousel. I was very happy to see that Ethan was laughing this time instead of crying!!
Maybe, just maybe, next year Springfield will finally beat Thurston's 18-year winning streak against their cross-town rivals. Maybe.
9 comments:
That last picture is so cute!!!! He is getting so big. I can't wait to see him (and you) at Thanksgiving!
Yea, who ever went to those games to watch football...we were always SO BAD! Seeing those pictures made me all nostalgic. Those games were so much fun to go too, and I'm so proud of you for taking the little guy even without your husband.
I love those pictures and I am glad we all met up at pizza...Matt had fun with our family. :)
Gotta love Springfield football. Ethan's getting so big!
Woohoo for marching band!!! Looking back, I have awesome memories of the games. Although, I do remember complaining about how horrible it was to have to sit out in the cold while our awful team lost yet again. It was great to have friends there though. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. :)
I love the joyful look on Ethan's face--especially in the last pic. I am also very jealous that you have family nearby! I'm so glad you get to (and that you do) spend time together. I hope my kids do the same thing--particularly if WE move where they are ;)
How fun! High school sports are fun to attend... More for the nostalgia than anything. We'll get THS next year!
Can't believe how different Ethan looks with so many teeth! Makes me sad he's growing up so fast and he doesn't even really know who we are! :( Oh well, roll on Christmas! He'll probably think :who the heck are you - go away!: !!!!
Ahh Springfield. Thank heavens for our band. Way to support the Millers Jenn-Jenn!!
Post a Comment