Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trauma on the Playground

Well, it's official. We've had our first run-in with a playground bully. And it started out as such a nice day... sort of.

I'm working this Saturday, so I had yesterday off. I decided to take advantage of the extra time and took Ethan in to get some fall pictures done with the studio's rustic barn backdrop and pumpkin, leaves and hay props. Good idea in theory, but I failed to remember how active and uncooperative 18-month olds tend to be. We got a few good shots in and called it a day. Meanwhile, my friend Heather and her little girl, Kaitlyn, had met us at the portrait studio. We packed up our stuff and headed to the indoor playground for the kids to play. No real problems this time, except Ethan kept crawling up on the bench and trying to drink from some woman's soda cup. After the kids had ran around for a bit, we decided it was time for some lunch and headed to the food court. It was pretty cute to see Ethan and Kaitlyn both interested in what the other was eating for lunch. In the end, they both shared.

Once everyone was good and full, we headed back over to the playground to really tired them out. Well, we were only there a few minutes when the first round of crying started. Some little boy had stopped Kaitlyn and for no apparent reason gave her a smack - I think in the back. It wasn't very hard, but it was still enough to make her cry. So Kaitlyn was already sitting on her mom's lap and it wasn't more than a few minutes later that I hear Ethan start screaming! I jumped up and ran to where he was on the steps leading up to the slide and recognize the same kid that had pushed Kaitlyn. As I get closer I see that he has Ethan's fingers in his mouth and he's ready chomp down!! You've got to be kidding! I yank Ethan out of there and yell at the kid, "NO BITING!" Well, by then I'm pretty sure we had everyone's attention. All of the other parents there had mouths gaping. I sat down with Ethan, trying to comfort him. At this point, I just figured Ethan had been pushed down the slide stairs and I had caught the almost-biting just in the nick of time. No such luck. Ethan's still screaming and it's then that I see it. On the side of his cheek, right up next to his ear is a HUGE bite mark! It was already bruising green and purple and I could see both upper and lower DEEP teeth marks clear back to the first set of molars. Without even thinking I cried out, "Oh my gosh!!" and jumped up again.

I headed over to the mother, who was already busy putting the (ahem... evil) boy's shoes on. She wouldn't even look at me. I was in "mother bear" mode, but I was still so preoccupied with making sure Ethan was OK that I couldn't even think of what to say to her. Of course, I thought of plenty to say once we got home. She's just lucky her kid's biting didn't break the skin on Ethan's cheek. Then I wouldn't have let her off so easy.

So, in the end, we survived. The reality of the whole ordeal hit me again later in the day as I realized that this monster child would have had to hold down Ethan's head in order to clamp down like that. As a mother, that was really hard to picture and the trauma of the event - especially through Ethan's eyes, was more clear. The bruising has gone down quite a bit now, but you can still see two distinct red marks by Ethan's ear.

11 comments:

Karen K. said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! How utterly awful for Ethan and you and everyone--even that little ("evil") boy who has obviously not had the loving life he deserves. I can't believe that any child can exhibit that amount of rage without being pretty darned angry at the world and is probably very mistreated himself. How old was he anyway? Did the the mom just not care or do you think she was completely embarrassed and didn't know how to manage her beastly boy? My first impulse was to beat them both up--at least verbally. ;)My second is a desire to get them both the help they need. We shouldn't have to live in total fear and they need to know that there are other ways to exist--that hurting people is NOT OK! Am I making sense? I'm trying to be somewhat Christlike in my thought processes. Poor, poor Ethan and Kaitlyn and you moms! It hurts so much to have to watch the end of their baby-hood innocent way of thinking that everyone is virtually good and to see them lose their trust in people. The aha moment: other people can hurt me...

It's easier for me to talk though, cuz I'm not Ethan's grammy. Had it been Olivia I'd be glassy-eyed and probably frothing at the mouth searching that mother/son duo out.

Anyway, I'm so sorry it happened. It brings tears to my eyes to think of him being brutalized that way. I just adore your little guy. Hang in there! :)

Todd said...

Ooooo... that ticks me off just thinking about it! I don't know exactly how I'd handle that if it happened with Spencer, though I'm sure at some point I'll have to deal with something similar. Give Ethan a big hug from us! We're looking forward to seeing you all when you're down here in a couple of months.

elowe said...

Sorry to hear about that incident. We've been through the same thing and it's really hard seeing your kids get hurt like that from someone else. I don't tolerate the "No discipline parenting" which seems to be everywhere:( Hopefully Ethan is doing o.k. I really like your fall family picture. Very cute!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh I would have been so mad!!! Poor Ethan, that is the saddest thing. I never know what to do when kids I don't know are mean to Easton. Biting is not cool though.

The Grahams said...

holy cow! What a mean kid- and a bad parent for letting that happen! Poor Ethan! He wouldn't hurt a fly and yet he got picked on. I would have told that mom off- i am not nice enough to let it go.

How was the children's museum in salem??

Auntie M said...

Wow. That better not happen again or you'll whip booty with your black-belt skills.

Shalene said...

that is definitely something I would not want to experience. You showed great patience with that woman. Im sure something I would have trouble with. glad things are ok though! Hope the next trip is a better experience!

Christine said...

I was so angry when I found about it! Teach the kid some manners!

Anonymous said...

I've had nightmares about stuff like that! I can't imagine what I would do in that situation sounds like you handled it awesome. I hate it when little kids like get picked on especially if it's your own kid. They're just so innocent and don't know how mean the world can be. I dread Bennett going to school the first time. Since it's an indoor park I wonder if you could have reported that mom or something so that kid can't come back - doesn't sound like he's getting the right kind of socializing out of it anyway.

Marsaili said...

Aw, poor Ethan! Hopefully he won't remember much of the trauma! :(

Kids are strange- my little sister had a biting phase, which stopped as suddenly as it started, but my mother had the good sense to not bring her into public play areas at the time. Unfortunately we had a heck of a time protecting her twin brother!!

I hope that mother can find a way to discipline that kid and at least keep him away from other kids until he stops. But to hold Ethan down - that is really terrible. That boy must have older siblings that have done that to him. You have learn it somewhere. And at least the mom seemed embarrassed and left quickly- I've seen the parents of little demon children start yelling and screaming because their "little angel" could NEVER be a problem! Argh!!!

Mel D said...

That is so sad! It makes me want to cry! I'm not sure what I would do in the same situation. And you never know if it's just a normal misbehaved child or a foster kid that has more...problems. I was talking to my friend just today and she has a foster kid that picks on her son, including biting, and i feel sorry for her. I would literally have to say they need to place the child in a different home if they were endangering my own. But you always have to feel sorry for the kid. They go through a lot. =(