may have fallen down the side of the filing cabinet in the dining room. I pulled it back from the wall and this is what I found (see picture at right).Mold up to my knee!! GROSS!!! Of course, Sean was in Salem still for a 2-day conference he was in charge of and I was just getting ready to go to bed. Dang it! So out came the bucket with hot, soapy bleach water, a scrub brush and a towel around the face for me - I wasn't going to breathe in those nasty mold spores. I got everything all cleaned up - luckily it came off the wall quite easily. Everything seemed to be exterior damage and the walls were solid - not even a slight give, so that was a good sign. I decided to move on to the bathroom since I already had all the cleaning supplies out. I got all of that mold cleaned up - again, exterior only and solid walls, and then it donned on me that a utility closet also shared that wall. Sure enough, when I went to check in the carpeted closet,
I found more mold once I moved a couple of (plastic) storage boxes aside. By the time I got all of that cleaned up and the contents of the closet stacked in the dining room in case the landlord set someone over the next day, it was 1am and I was exhausted!So... Friday morning I called the landlord, who called the owners, who called their usual plumber, who called me to set up an appointment. Luckily he works Saturdays, so we were able to schedule a 10am (which, in plumber time meant 10:45am) appointment. I was gone getting my hair done, so Sean and Ethan were there to greet him. He got the leak fixed (yay!) and then inspected the walls and checked the pictures I had taken. It seems that we caught the leak pretty early because I was right about the damage only being exterior. Other than keeping a fan on in the closet for a couple days to make sure everything was dried out, it doesn't look like there will have to be any additional repairs. Thank goodness. That was enough excitement for us.
7 comments:
That makes me sad for you. Gross! Way to remember the closet though, that could have been MUCH worse!
Mold is no fun!!! It is a good thing you caught it early. Think of what it might have been when it starts getting wet outside too. glad it is all taken care of and you dont have to worry about it anymore.
Ugh, nothing worse than mold! My parents had something similar happen to the wall between the master bath & office, but it involved removal of drywall and plastic masks. Good thing you caught it early!
I'm so glad to read that it was only exterior. I remember coming home after a vacation and finding our bathroom ripped to pieces (which meant my closet on the other side was also effected) due to an extensive mold problem. I guess that's what you get living in Oregon sometimes.
Gross! Glad it got all cleaned up. Hope it doesn't come back.
Oh Jenn-Jenn. Yuck. I may have to file this under "Graphic Prose and Photography of Jennifer J. Southworth." Or briefly,"Too Much Information."
I'm sorry, Tory, but this is what was going on in our lives. Our blog is real-life and last weekend, this was definitely consuming a lot of time in our day! I know it's gross, but I had to vent a little about having to clean it!!
Post a Comment